Home Chat General Chat

Cycle Insurance

Im thinking of joining my local tri club and on its website it says 'Please make sure you have cycle insurance....'.... anyone have this?


  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Included in your Triathlon England membership
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Also check out cycleguard, good for general cycling, commuting etc regarding accidents and theft. They also have a tri-specific option for racing if you dont join the BTF, and its not bad price-wise.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    My buildings and contents insurance is with First Direct, and when I told them I wanted cover for a £1000 bike they said "No problem, no increased premium, but you might notice it go up by a few extra pounds next year."

    It is covered against theft provided it is properly locked. It has to be in my garage when it is at home. I'm NOT covered for racing, but I am covered for taking it to races, before and after races, even when it is parked in transition. I just don't have damage cover if I am actually racing on it when it gets smashed.

    The eagle-eyed will have spotted the problem here... the bike would need to be locked up in transition. Which it is... right up until before I unlock it then go to the swim assembly point.

    Suits me, sir.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    There are two types of insurance firstly cycling insurance ie cover against accidents & collisions and secondly bicycle insurance which covers your actual bike. There are sevveral ways to do this..

    1. Membership of your national cycling / triathlon federation provides a degree of cover

    2. Take out your own cycle accident insurance (try RiderBike tel 01618177762)

    3. National federations may also offer a members only keenly priced bicycle insurance - cover for theft, damage etc

    4. Take out your own bicycle specific insurance policy - do this for expensive bikes its very costly but shop around

    TAKE CARE! I have found out to my cost that house insurance has so many provisios that your bike may not be covered. Take my advice if your bike is worth more than a grand take out a specific policy

  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Good warning, frog. As posted before, my race bike is only ever in one of three places: in a locked garage; in transition; underneath my backside.

    When I take my MTB up to the pool I have got into a routine of sticking my lock on it then taking a picture with my phone. Might not be much, but a time-stamped piccie of a locked bike might stop the insurance company trying to wriggle.

    I had a really long discussion with FD to go through the policy limitations. I think I've balanced the risk against cost OK, and if I really get burned I'm still riding a bike that I can just about afford to replace. My judgement would have come out very differently if, like you, I had a garage full of pure cycling porn. [:)]

  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Home insurance just tends to give you cover for theft.

    A specific cycling insurance policy will give you coverage against other risks: Including injury to your self, injury to third parties, death etc.

    A bit like the difference between car insurance "Fire and Theft", "Third Party, Fire and Theft", and "Fully Comprehensive". Of course, for cars, you can't just have "First and Theft", which is what the adding your bike to your home contents is a bit like,

    Like anything, you have to consider your circumstances: if you have lots of dependents, do really dangerous things like commuting in rush hour traffic, then something a bit beyond your contents policy might be a good idea.

    Some competitive events require insurance - one of the benefits of club/association membership is, often, cover for this - this is usually third party cover though, not personal cover. So if you were sued for running a pedestrian down, or making a big head shaped dent in a car, then you would be covered for that. You would have to cope with any damage to yourself or bike though.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    I have my bike added on as an extra on my home policy. I'm covered for theft, accidental damage and (importantly) third party liability - don't forget this.

    I'm not covered in a race. My TP liability in a race will be covered by the race organisers insurance, so when racing my risk is breaking the bike during the race or having it nicked from transition.

    My bike's (only!) worth £500, if/when I upgrade I guess I'd spend at least a grand and then I think I'd take out a specific policy.
  • Have a look at Evans cycles bike insurance; they have various cover options including racing and public liability. You need to have an industry approved lock (usually 'Sold Secure Silver' up to £1500 value, and 'Sold Secure Gold' for anything over that), but they seemed to be very competitive.
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    funnily enough there were some articles in the evening standard last night which covered cycling to work and issues around/costs of insurance - link is here http://cycle.standard.co.uk/ . basic position seemed to be that if you live in london, do not leave an expensive bike unattended...ever
Sign In or Register to comment.