Home Chat General Chat

Pain in the rear - literally

Anyone able to help explain or resolve this one for me?

I have a dull ache in the back of my leg and up into the lower part of my buttock. It gets worse if I sit or drive and never hurts when I'm running, cycling, swimming etc.

It's not high enough to be sciatica (could be a dodgy spelling there! not sure) and I'm guessing it might be hamstring related but I'm not sure.

I was just wondereing if anyone else suffers with it?

Comments

• SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    I get the same pain in my bum - suspect mine is caused by an old hamstring injury and its the scar tissue aching with my rapidly advancing years.

I'm no doctor but I suspect yours will turn out to be hamstring related - you may have tweaked it a little and its just reminding you it needs to recover!

Get thee to a physio.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    It's not high enough to be sciatica

Sciatica, depending on flavour, can be felt as pain and/or numbness and/or tingling anywhere from your lower vertabrae down to your toes. You can't discount it based on location.

Regardless, see a doctor for an appropriate diagnosis and referral, unless your doctor is as good as mine - in which case she will ask me what I think, then give me some Ibuprofen and tell me to go away.

I'm not a medical person, by the way, but I have suffered sciatica.
  • Agree with Bopomofo.. sounds sciatic to me and the fact that that it doesn't hurt whilst doing muscle related stuff (cycling, running swimming) again suggests something neural (nervey)... get youself to a physio and have them check it out.. I'm one and deal with this kind of thing from sports people quite a bit and a few easy neural stretches and a few lower back and postural strengthening exercises usually do the trick.... obviously i am oonly offering a bit of advice, its impossible to diagnose over a forum, but if it is sciatic then these things take a long toime to sort themselves out and inevitably return unless you address the cause rather than just the symptoms... sorry to waffle!!
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Thanks for the advice guys - have had it diagnosed and it is a soft tissue injury to the piriformis muscle, which is located near the glutes - it gets agrivated by running on hard surfaces and lots of change in direction - apparently it is easy to cure with lots of massage and a few stretches - fingers crossed - thought I'd post the outcome in case it helps anyone else.