Home Chat General Chat

Advice needed: Changing gears with bar end shifters....

Okay so what is the best tactic for going into a hill climb on bar end shifters - I tend to wuss out and put the gear maybe 1-2 lower than I think I will need and get out of the saddle - is there a better way????

Please tell me there must be other ways otherwise I am stuffed for the Exmoor Hills...I did a 30% and a 20% hill at the weekend on STIs and that was hard - I think I would have been walking on bar ends...

I.

Comments

• WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Agree with the resident guru. Nothing like a bit of course prep and pre-race riding of the route to arrange gear selection and the like.

Failing actually being able to go out on to course, then do some hill research using the tools on mapmyrun/bike/tri etc. Find the gradients for the course and find some local hills.

I've done plenty of hills on bar-end shifters and as long as you are in the saddle climbing and practice the one hand move and flick technique called 'Hold-on, we are going for a change-up' then it'll be rosey.

• combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    Damn and I was hoping for a bolt of lightning revalation that I was doing something wrong [;)]

Thanks for the advice - I guess it is time get out there and do a bit more work - now for the next problem finding a rear wheel that doesn't flex when I put power down.....

I.