Home Chat General Chat

training twice a day

hey hey,

just a quick question...

if i cycle on a gym bike for an hour in the morning and then an hour in the evening is this as beneficial as 2consecutive hours on the gym bike. prob not but i presume thisis comoon practice amongst most of you?! or even a swim in the am and cycle in the pm. or 1hr run in the am and then in the pm

i am making sure i do at least one long (for me) cycle at the weekend of 2-3hrs and long run 1-1.5hours

i'm struggling to get in alot of hours in training and am having to split it up during the day

any opinions/advice

cheers

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    As usual, the answer is....it depends! It depends on what your goal is, distance of race yo are training for etc. But basically two is actually better than one in some senses, the post exercise effect is doubled with 2 workouts, you may work at a higher intensity for 2 shorter bursts than one longer. So do what you can when you can, but make your sessions count, have a goal, not just junk miles.
  • jboyjboy Posts: 40
    cheers britspin,

aiming for half ironman.

i do find that at the same pace on treadmill/bike that my HR is higher in the evening folllowing a morning session only by maybe 5beats.

at the min i'm ignoring distance and just going by volume i.e run for 90mins below 140bpm and whatever disatnce i do i take it.

but i think form what i've read that getting a long bike and run at least once aweek is importnat for longer distances.

thanks
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Yeah I reckon you doing good for this time of year at least... you may struglle if you only go over an hour session 1 a week once the weather improves / in the 2-3 month leading up to the race. -

1/2 IM will take you 5hrs at least so you wnt to be ready for that.. spose you could get round that by doing very long ride one weekend - i.e. 4-5hours and then the next a very long run - 3hrs.... your body will be absolutly fine then... probably better than trying to fit the both in one week just make sure your hour/gym sesions are not to intense... dont be afriad to do 40min bike, 20 min cross triainer or running machine.... or 20 mins rowing 40 mins bike etc. just keep at <80% hr!!
  • jboyjboy Posts: 40
    yeah i suppose not doing too bad for the time of the year...a long way to go yet! think i will try and get a couple of 90min runs in during the week as well as the 2-3hr bike ride... but am trying to keep the HR down as best i can but its hard...at least for the time being..i'm getting impatient but then again its only week 2 of about 30something to my A race!

thanks for the advice lads
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I agree that it is a bit early in the year for 2 sessions a day, assuming your key event is in Summer. You run the risk of burning mentally rather than physically. Yo'll get bored of it, you could get to hate it, or you could do it for the sake of doing it or if you perservere you'll get stuck in a rut and find it difficult to up your training ie do intervals and speed endurance work.

To answer your question I tink you would be better off doing two different sports in a double session and making one of them a priority session. Which depends on your goals and aims