Home Chat General Chat

Race belts

Total newbie question but it's been bugging me since my last race;

What are you supposed to do with a race belt?

I've gathered the whole "wrap it around your waist and clip together" bit but how do people attach the numbers?

The long lengths of elastic and the friction lock toggles seem excessive when you could just safetly pin the number to the belt.

Descriptions/pictures of how different people wear theirs would be really helpful.

Comments

• on mine that I bought it clips together at the waist as you say - but then it has two little dangley clips (think clips on braces to hold up trousers) that clip to the number and hold it in place.

Simple really.. and I'm a newbie to! :)

bought from wiggle

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Run/8/Nathan_Race_Number_Belt/5360036105/

• LindsLinds Posts: 124
    The long lengths of elastic and the friction lock toggles seem excessive when you could just safetly pin the number to the belt.

Descriptions/pictures of how different people wear theirs would be really helpful.

[/quote]

Ah

I was so paranoid about my number falling off (and therefore getting disqualified) during ym first tri that I used the toggles AND safety pins.

I was most worried about the number on the bike ride, but now realise that isn't a problem and the wind doesn't whip it about as i feared it might, so won't bother with the safety pins next time.
  • en51nmen51nm Posts: 41
    Okay, so very newbie question here... You don't swim with a number, but during T1 you put this belt on which has your number attached? I'm guessing that stays on for the run as well?

Is there a "Transition" guide around anywhere, it's the only thing I think I haven't "trained" for yet!

Nick

• Normally race belts with number on back while on the bike, get to transition and swing it around to the front for the run, well thats what we have to do here in Oz, but who knows what you do in Uk/Europe after reading Bennys posting about transition boxes.

FW
  • LindsLinds Posts: 124
    Number on your back for the bike, then spin it around for the run.

At Bath, the marshalls were reminding eveyone to spin their number around as they left T2, which I guess is normal
  • As a few people have already said, the number must face to the REAR when riding the bike and then swung round to face the FRONT when running.

If you really don't want to wear a race belt you can just have two numbers. One on the front and back.

I'm not familiar with the bets with toggles/elastic. I use a 2XU belt which has two little poppers in. When you get your race number, make two matching holes with a conventional office hole punch and affix to your belt!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Some race numbers have holes at the corners. You put the long elastic thingie trough the hole and then clip on the locks on the exiting elastic. Fast and easy, if of coursethe race organisation is willing to get some proper race number.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Here's a handy tip: crumple your race number up into a ball, then flatten it out. Repeat until the paper goes all soft and velvety - try it with some plain paper if you don't believe it happens! The paper is then far less likely to tear when you pull your race belt on and the clips don't spread out as evenly as you would hope...

Oh, the other top tip... don't leave it until T1 on race day to practice putting your number belt on. Do it a lot beforehand, maybe building it into a couple of your brick sessions.

You all know the old rule about not trying something for the first time on race day, right?
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Most tris give you 2 numbers, I take along double sided tape & stick the numbers together, back to back top & bottom, thread number belt thru & bingo, good to go & it seems not to flap too much in the breeze on the bike.
  • Thanks for all the ideas. I tried pinning the numbers to my cycle top and successfully ripped them both off putting top on[:@] so will try the belt at the next one.

Cheers