Home Chat General Chat

Quintana Roo

Just happened to nip into tri uk for a look see and saw this bike

Quintana Roo Kilo 2008 Triathalon Bike

http://www.thetristore.com/products/kilo.jpg

Its priced at just over £ 1k

Seemed very light and cheap.

Any one have any thoughts comments on this bike.

before i go waste me money on it.( if its crap that is)

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I've heard very good things about the frame, but I think thats pretty much where it stops. I think its supposed to be pretty good as an entry level tri bike, but you may find that if you get more into the sport the components may need an upgrade a bit sooner than you would like.

Have you looked at the focus tria? Priced at 999 which is slightly cheaper and the components you get for that money are fantastic, and the frame has got some great reviews. In comparison to the QR i think it may just have the edge.

At one point I was thinking about the Focus or the QR but the issue I had was the alloy frame, that despite being great I thought that if I got one I would at some point want a carbon one, and as the frame is the most important bit I've decided to get a carbon framed bike now. There are a few out there for under 1500, in particular the Cannondale slice, if you can find one in your size.

Also remember that the end of the season is coming, some bike shops, evans cycles for example have already started their sale, so with a couple of hundred off you may be able to get a carbon framed bike for alloy money!
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Yes i've already bought a bike in 2007 that is now in need of a change because i thought it would do the job.

Giant scr ltd 2007

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwGetImage.a4p?f%5FImageWindow=1&f%5FImgWebModelID=8351&f%5FScale=1&f%5FImageName=%5F

Its a good bike, well good for me to ride to see what i could push myself too.

Maybe its worth saving hard and going for a bike early next year ready to start a fresh season on.

Thanks for the advise mate.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I would definitely keep you eye on the sales over the next few months, hold on to your money for now. There are so many shops on the internet trying to get your business, that there are going to be some guarateed bargains, in particular keep an eye on..

Slanecycles.com, the tristore.com (who have actually got a sale on at the mo) and wiggle of course, although they seem to have little stock left!

As they will all be getting in 2009 bikes soon and they will want to shift all the 2008 bikes.

Also try heading into your LBS as they are in the same situation, I'm going in to mine tomorrow to negociate on a cervelo P2C frame!

Also if you buy 220 you should have got a voucher for 10% off, which i think you can use against bikes. have a look on their site, tfn.com/uk or something like that.

(Ps, sorry for all the spelling mistakes, I'm not on my Mac which corrects my spelling, so I have lost the ability to spell!)
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

Ah, if I were a rich man...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25462

Quite how they make the price point on this, when the gearset and wheels alone would cost about £2k, I don't know!

Bike p0rn
  • BIGBROBIGBRO Posts: 2
    Hi

Last year in april I was looking for nice new bike and did lots of research.

I found for the best money a Quintana Roo Caliente 2006 £1500. But no carbon wheels instead mavic Ksyrium Equipe. I went to primera at bournemouth first and had a bike fit as well, there didn't have the right size frame in stock. Good people down there very helpful, so on the way back home I went into Tri uk and found one my size. Haven't look back, I've just done London 9576 in 2:15.06 bike was 1.03.25 so a good bike and I'm doing Ironman uk which means lots of long bike rides.

They are very good bikes and good equipment fitted to them.

Have fun shopping.