Home Chat General Chat

BEIRONFIT IRONMANUK2009

Comments

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    My knees appear to be rebelling with the 4 run sessions a week...

Hope the knee gets better soon stu
  • Good luck with the knee. Don't rush back too soon, or it will never get better.

• agent_ti,

I also have problems with my knees and was worried about the 4 runs a week as I always like to leave at least 1 day inbetween each run.

So i've adjusted my schedule and subbed 1 run with an ergo instead. I am just doing the shortest of the runs so really don't think i'll miss anything as i'm doing exactly the same HR on the ergo. Vis-a-vis, I think doing an ergo a week is probably actually better for you in the long run as its all general conditioning and hits the right muscle groups for cycling and swimming as well and is generally regarded as a good compliment to run training.

May be worth considering - specially for when the runs start get alot longer!
    Saw the physio today, and turns out my knee isnt aligned properly which has what has been causing me problems all these years, so i just need to get an insert from a running shop to tilt my foot outwards slightly which will correct the problem. Meanwhile, its reduced running while it recovers
  • boodogboodog Posts: 18
    Feeling really positive and almost at the end of week 2, (moved my rest day to Sunday). However I've just read the post about heart rate training. I used the formula in Ironfit (220 minus age-36 years in my case!) and was quite happy until now. Is anyone else using this or is it as unreliable. as everyone seems to indicate. What does everyone think.
    If it feels like youre in the right training zones then it probably is OK, though most people will find it different. Personally, I've had my heart rate up to 205 on my bike doing some tough climbs in the pennines, so have been using that as my base. Best way to find it is with some Max HR testing, but that is difficult given the training plan!
    Btw, just been out on a run to test the knee and although there was discomfort, it still held together fine. Cut it short by 20 mins as I didn't want to overdo it, but felt like I could have done the entire run. Thanks for all the support!
    cheers agent_ti and good luck with that knee.
  • Just been for a cheecky 30k ride and my knee didn't fall off. Things are looking good!!
  • Well guess who can't spell cheeky.....doofus
  • After a good first 2 weeks I've picked up my first injury!!!!![:(] I'm pretty sure it's a mild case of ITBS. After the full week off, lots of ICE, Ibuprofen, stretching and plenty of sulking cos I can't go out. It feels like it might just be clearing up.

Im considering getting a physio's/osteopaths opinion, what does everyone think???

Leave it or get it looked at for the all clear??

I hate not training, the wife says I'm a different person. I feel flat and miserable...............help.........support needed!!!![:D]

• al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    firefightergaz - get yourself down the physio, 1 or 2 weeks of misery can become 1 or 2 months if you go out and train too soon.

stucrawford - good luck with the knee, take a few easy rides to get back into the swing of things and don't push it too hard too early.

I always get a sore achilles after a few long runs. I now rub ibugel (ibuprofen in a gel tube) onto any sore areas - knees/ankles/achilles after a training session. It targets the problem area better than the tablets and doesn't rot your insides. No good on saddle rash though!

I think part of the battle for the ironman is getting to the start line in reasonable shape and injury free.
  • Hi Im doing the 30 week competitive training plan from BEIRONFIT.

Has anyone found an Olympic distance race and Half Iron man race that fits pefectly into the 30 week training plan ????.

Training is going well but am finding it difficult to keep HR down during training.
    Yeah, my HR races as well. Especially when running - averages > 160 bpm for a 23km run of about 2 hrs run! Less on the bike.

I'm doing the Cowman 1/2 IM end June and the Stratford marathon end April. Not ideal but should work out OK, I hope.

I think the Cowman 1/2 IM works out at week 25 instead of week 22.

I'm also doing the Blenheim sprint tri start of June (week 22).
  • Sounds good. Is the Cowman at Milton Keynes ??

Im trying to follow the trainning plan as close as I can so Imight go for that or try to find something else that fits perfectly into the plan.
    Cowman is just outside MK.

http://www.big-cow.com/public/event.aspx?id=1108

Emberton[/align]Nr Olney[/align]Buckinghamshire[/align]MK46 5DB[/align]
    Just looked at the cumulative training hours to date ....

Swim - target 10 hrs, actual 7 hrs

Ride - target 13hrs, actual 12hrs

Run - target 13hrs, actual 13.5hrs

Looks like I've gotta make sure I get the swim sessions in.

Interested how you guys are getting on.
    Missed a couple of swims in the first couple of weeks, and have shin splints and recurring knee injuries so running has dropped massively whilst I wait to see the podiatrist! My totals to the end of week 5 are:

Bike: 417km

Run: About 80k

Swim: 20k
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    I havent managed to do any swimming at all! in fact the last time i swam was for Ironman last year, oops.....

Not been doing too much running last week as i've been suffering from shin splints (an old recurring problem) and sore achilles tendon (again, an old recurring problem). cycling? not much of that either! been staying at the inlaws as the mrs car is broken and no way for her to get to work otherwise and my bikes are at home. been on the gym bikes but dont really count that as training.

so all in all, not going well! i've managed to lose some weight though so happy about that!

(must try harder, must try harder)
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    I'm looking forward to joining this thread next year! - This is my first real season so I'm planning to do Ironman UK next year with the help of the book!

Can't wait in a sick kinda way!

It's intresting read though guys.
    graham33 - there's still a few places left for this year...!
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    LOL - I've only just managed to swim 1km in the pool!

I said to myself - I'll do sprint and Olympic distance this year and then the Ironman next year.....

But thanks for the encouragement.

I'll be very intrested in seeing how the Beironfit training plan helps you on the event - Goodluck.

[:)]
  • Hi guys, quite like the idea of hearing how other peoples training has gone so far in the iron fit 30 weeks.

Im doing the intermediate programme and so far after 5 weeks these are my totals.

swim 10.20

bike 17.35

run 15.10

weights 11.45

Started with a decent base so did not drop run times or bike times.

Currently doing about 12 - 13 hours a week including weight training 2-3 hours a week. I still like to weight train quite heavy.

I struggle to get good pool time to do the full 2500m session. Swim mainly in my lunch break for 45 mins 3 times a week. Did however do 2500m continuous swim last week in 1 hour 2mins. 6 months ago I could not swim!!!

It would be good to keep this going as I find its a great motivational tool.

Currently in week 6 I have 1.30 swim, 1.00 run and 1.15 weights.

Tomorrow is run and turbo in evening with new spinervals dvd's.

Bring it on!!!
    Hi team,

Really enjoying it so far, even trained after pulling a 27hour shift last week. Dropped a couple of weeks of swims due to a bit of a shoulder twinge which I think is just because i pushed too hard after a long break from proper swimming.

So far these are my totals

Swim - 4hrs 5 min

Bike - 11hrs 10min

Run - 11hrs 30min

Bring it on!
  • Week 6. Been a good week so I decided to reward myself with day off today as felt a little tired. Its killing me!!!

Ive been itching to train all day, nice weather for a ride, havent swam since thursday but no I must resist and not train. Anyone else like this?

This week, 2:15 swim, 4:05 bike, 2:35 run, 3:00 weights.

After my day off today bring on the training this week
    Day off tomorrow (Monday) and contemplating a cheeky swim. The cumulative tiredness from daily training means a day off is essential to recharge the batteries...and keep the missus happy!

We are now 20% through the 30 week progam !
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    I'm managing to stick to the plan now, but i am only doing the intermediate plan. oh yes, and i'm also doing the runners world 'finish a marathon' training plan with the mrs as she's not done any sport in her life ever! and also doing weights 3 times a week. feeling a lot fitter and healthier but sleeping loads! just waiting for the fat to start melting......
    Training was going great (excluding the running which is a given!) until Friday, when I got hit by an illness, which unfortunately wasnt man flu and meant I spent the entire weekend in bed, missed a swim, long bike, 2 runs and a weights session! Nearly recovered now, so should be able to get back this week. Also off to try and see a podiatrist this week through the NHS (apparently I have to go through my GP, physios recommendation isnt enough!), then HOPEFULLY, I will be able to run properly soon(ish)
  • Another good week for me, making all my planned sessions except for the extra weights I planned this weekend.

Good 3hr 50 mile bike yesterday along the dragon ride route, lots of up and down the bwlch!!!

Week 7

Swim 2.20

Bike 5.20

Run 3.45

Weights 2.15

How is everyone else doing? Anyone finding that their running is now slow, not sure I could go into zone 4 if I wanted to.

Got a half marathon in fortnight but am not confident on a good time as feel I do not have the speed in my legs, guess its down to the specific training and building the base.

Hoping to get a bit more swimming in this week and a friday night Wales rugby game will put an end to my drinking exile
    4hr club ride today - good fun, takes the boredom out of the longer rides. To be recommended if you've got a good club near you. Felt pretty good actually, maybe this training is starting to pay off.

The only problem is that it's a Sunday when I should be running instead.

What do you think - will a longer run on the Friday, day off on Saturday and long club ride on Sunday make up for the two runs on Fri/Sun and ride on Sat? This will give me an extra rest day on Sat with a longer run & ride sesions on Fri & Sun.