Home Chat General Chat

Transition Box Purchase

Hi Everyone - another daft newbie question unfortunately. I need to purchase a box for transition to put all my stuff in. Don't know what to get!!!

How big does it need to be, what colour and any tips on where to get one from?

Thanks

Comments

• notmilknotmilk Posts: 35
    i've just bought a big purple one from Woolworths £6!

It's big enough for two sets of shoes (bike shoes and running shoes) plus a towel, t-shirt and whatever else really.

My 1st tri this weekend so haven't tried it out yet - hope i'm allowed to use it!

It's bright purple so should also act as a beacon to help me find my bike in T1!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I got a collapsable one in B&Q its really good; it folds flat so it can be taken in a kit bag anywhere in the world, its blue red green and yellow so it looks great, and its big enoughto hold all my T1/T2 kit. The best thing is that it makes transition training worthwhile as my kit is always in the same place everytime. This is especially useful if you are VERY short-sighted and have vision problems between removing RX goggles and putting on RX sunglasses
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Rymans do a good selection with clip on lids. Here's an example:

http://www.ryman.co.uk/Really-Useful-Box-Purple-35-Litre-0161202522.asp

I have a similar one but not as brightly coloured, but hey at least you'll spot it in transition! [:)]
  • I use a simple plastic box. Foot print wise, it's about A3 size and 12" deep. I carry all my stuff into transition before the race and lay everything out. I don't tend to use the box during T1 or T2. Colours and stickers etc will help you locate your bike quickly in T1!
  • ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    If you are planning on doing any events in Belgium then make sure you buy a blue box.[:D]
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Watch out ash, maybe they'll accept this new rule in other countries as well.

I suppose the blue box factory has a huge stock they want to get rid off![;)]
  • This may be a daft question but London olympic this weekend and i do not have a box. Is a box compulsiory? I am flying over from Belfast for the event and so a box would be a bit of hassle.

Geoff
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Geoff, you don't have to have a box. You just need to have some means of taking all your kit to the transition area - probably at the same time as taking your bike, because its a bloody long walk from the car park to hall 6 at eXceL - and it needs to be arranged neatly next to your bike.

The 'arranged neatly' bit is 1) to make sure YOU know where everything is when you need it, and 2) to make sure your kit isn't sprawled out across your neighbouring competitor's patch. You get your bike space plus about 50cm max of room alongside.

For most outdoor transition areas I take a box with all my crap in, then spread it out on a kind of ground sheet towel thing. We all have our own routines for this bit, and there are many other threads so I won't repeat stuff, just have a search around the forum.

One handy thing about London is that transition is indoors, so there's no chance of your kit getting soaked while you are racing. Unless you drop your Lucozade, that is.

This time around I don;t have any friends, family or supporters with me to help carry kit, so I'll not be bothering with a box: I'll be taking a rucksack then arranging my stuff when I get inside.

Good luck!