Home Chat General Chat

Distance running. Heartrates/effort?

With the Christmas period, comes the prospect of being dragged around the country for a week or so.

I thought I'd take the opportunity to extend my running distance.

Currently I'm happy doing 5K and 10K at roughly 14 - 15KPH, and a HR hitting 190 when doing time trials.

So, if I'm looking at extending my run durations to 90 minutes, are there any target HR's I should use as a guide, or should I just knock the pace back a couple of KPH?

Cheers[;)]

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I used to love to train to heart rate. Then I realised that I gradually hit a plateaux, this was mostly due to my heart-rate lowering for the same effort, an obvious advantage of training.

I therefore started to find that my heart rate didn't seemed to properly reflect effort, and my training became a bit up and down.

Enter Jack daniels and his running formula, where you are given paces to train at rather than heart rates.

for a given VDOT which is based on race performance you are given an easy pace, marathon pace, tempo, interval and repetition. This has helped me so much to focus my workouts, and by following his methods my run times have gradually improved over the past year. I have gone from approx 35-36 min 10k to sub 31.

• Jack daniels and his running formula
    Cheers. Sounds good.

I tracked down an online calculator based on his book.

http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm

Apparently I can do a marathon in 3:04! Mmmmm.... Might need to train first![:D]

Will give it a go next week.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    gunforhire wrote:
    Apparently I can do a marathon in 3:04! Mmmmm.... Might need to train first![:D]

Will give it a go next week.

What, the Marathon???[8D]
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I was a little confused at 1st when I read the times I could do the other distances in, i.e. half marathon in 1:08 or something. But then I read the bit about if you trained properly for that distance you would be able to do it in that time!