Home Chat General Chat

London Docks and catching something nasty

Can anyone help?

I took part in the London Tri last year as i am this year and i don't want to catch whatever it was that i caught last year.

i've heard that there is a drink type thing that could help beat it, does anyone know what this might be?

Comments

• WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Lots of people rave about amouthful of coke after the swim or race to help beat any horrible stuff you may have swallowed or drunk deliberately! heehee [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image]

Never tried it myself, but there are a few old threads about it.
  • I swam in the docks a couple of weeks ago and although the water didn't taste good, I didn't have any side effects. But I was told to drink coke to help flush the system! Not sure I could drink it during the tri though!
  • seldomseldom Posts: 2
    cheers for the advice. me and a few mates done the london tri last year and all 3 of us caught something which involved the same colour green as the water.

looks like coke it is then[:'(]

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Keep up the vitamin tablets before and after the event. Last year my doctor also advised being up to date on the Tetanus jabs, which I am.

I've not looked at the details much this year, but last year Victoria Dock was up to Blue Flag level for water safety. This doesn't mean the water is clean and potable, but it does tell you that the levels of bacteria are low enough to be no health risk.

The Thames is a silt laden river, and the water is a very peat-filled mixture. Thankfully it is fairly clean, pollutant-wise, but it is still muddy enough to encourage a good breathing technique.

You can barely see your own hand on your catch, so I wouldn't suggest swallowing any of it on purpose.... I'm just saying that if you do it isn't going to kill you. Probably.