Home Chat General Chat

Southampton tri

BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
Hay all

Has anyone done this or doing it?

I have the application/entry form but its some way for me to travel so wont be able to pratice the bike course, Was looking for some idea of the route and is it worth doing.

Cheers

Comments

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    blinkybaz... if he doesn;t get on here with an answer quickish, PM/email bopofumo... I'm sure he'll know.

didds

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Cheers Didds

I never thought of that. If Bopo is doing it I will just hang on to him in the swim!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Pm'ed you, baz, but for the benefit of anybody else interested... delayed response was due to my being on hols. Lovely little cruise on P&O Ventura to Norway. Got the chance to get off the boat and go running around a fjord or two. Bloody hilly.[:)]

-----

Southampton tri is quite a nice little one, really. I think the distances are something like 400m, 18miles, 4 miles. The swim is in the pool at Applemore leasure centre, which is very easy to get to. Transition is fairly well set out, but you have to run down some metal fire-escape steps to get into T1. There's no gravel, so no transition flip-flops required.

The bike is VERY nice. Undulating throught some beautiful bits of the New Forest. Typical new forest course, really, the roads kind of wiggle up and down, there's only one bit you'd call a hill and it's not exactly a big one. Lots of fast flat stuff, too. You have to cross a couple of cattle grids - take them at speed and shut yer eyes!

There's a bit of the bike route that is on a main road for a mile or so, with a right turn at a big roundabout. I saw a guy get knocked off there one year: the big problem with the event is that it is bank holiday weekend and the tourists WILL kill you in an effort to get to their campsite 30 seconds earlier. Actually, it's not that bad... the roads are pretty quiet, really.

The run is a bit dull for the first half - very residential. The last mile is OK, though, on a nice straight Roman road. There's a mild hill at about 1-2 miles but otherwise flat.

Concept sport events are always well organised. Southampton is pretty well attended, so you'll have about 250 other people to beat ;-) Barring any mishaps I'll be there with a bunch of the boys and girls from our informal tri club. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a nice friendly 'almost-a-sprint' with no big surprises.

http://www.conceptsport.co.uk/events.php?pid=1111