Home Chat General Chat

Newbies! What training have you done this week?

Comments

• hbiker108hbiker108 Posts: 23
    Hi All

Its only my second season of tri so I guess i still class as a newbie!

Did 1500m swim yesterday lunchtime and i beat my personal best by 3mins!! Was well happy but its still quite slow at 38:06 for 60 lengths. Must admit the walls interupt my rhythm so waiting for the club lake to be announced as 'open'.

Have nothing planned for Thursday and Friday night as i am off to Evans to buy a new bike on Saturday and have a 30mile cycle home on it!!!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Lasts night swim session with a freind to coach me never happened due to her being ill.

So I joined my 5-a-side buddies for a hard 1.30HRS of frantic sprinting and gaol hunting.
  • gomiboygomiboy Posts: 59
    Monday - ran 5k slow... had some time off so wanted to start slowly

Tuesday - swam 30 min and did strength training

Wednesday - rest

Today - ran 10k

Plan for rest of the week:

Tonight - swim 30 min drills

Tomorrow - run 1 hour

Saturday - cycle 2 hours swim 1 hour

Now I just have to show me! :)
    Last night wasanother 5-a-side game. I was about as useful as a cohcoalte fire guard1 Oh well always next week.
  • sunday = gym for an hour and a half brick session on the bike and tredmill doing intervals

monday = 3000m swim drills mainly

tuesday =running just over 5 miles

wednesday = first time back to rugby training since my knee injury (in november!)

thursday = easy swim session 2000m

today= rugby again and maybe a gental run

saturday = run 5 miles

sunday = serious gym session!!

it keeps me busy and i just passed my driving test [:D]
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    On saturday i will be doing about 30mins swim, then 45 mins on the bike followed by a 5k (hilly) run

Sunday long swim at least an hour try to keep technique reasonable while doing sets of 6 or 8 lengths each.

Tuesday bike commute (9miles each way)

Wednesday swim 1h

Thursday Bike commute again

Friday - a good 3 or 4 hours in the pub (i'm not going to drink so it is as difficult a mental strength test as any training session) then start again
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Swim before work yesterday 1150m of drills and sets. Working to get my stroke count down, currently around 16-18, but very sloooooooooow. Lunchtime run of 5.5k. Again... slow. When will I ever speed up?

Rest day today, tomorrow cycling to a friends house for a poker night. Cycling back sunday hopefully a little bit richer!
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    Mon - swim

Tues spin

swim

wed - 30 min run improved distance covered by 300m[:D] on 2 days before and a km from a week before

Thurs - pilates

Fri - spin

swim

hopefully weather will be vaguely better so can go for a proper bike ride

hmmm - so much for a quiet week[8|]
    yipee - 20k bike ride before anyone else up so no arguments about training interfering with family life[:D] -

improvement in average speed (14.5kph) up by 1.5kph and top speed (45kph) up by 14kph- not mentioning time you'll laugh but acording to my Garmin I have yet to do any of my bike riding on anything even remotely flat - majority classed level 3-4 climbs and downs -- so feel justified in feeling pleased with myself - especialy as had to reput on chain 3 times - mental note do not allow teenage son to service bike or believe him or other half that its running fine - wonder if the life insurance has been put up withut me knowing[8D]

chill out rest of weekend
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Error whilst Doing a Replacement, Error in srv_convert.
    Friday night was 30 mins of weights and core on a swiss ball. I tried the superman postion on the ball and not only looked daft I fedlt it when I found I could not do it. I will try again tonight.

Saturday was another set of weights and core.

This morning with weather like this how could I not get on the bike. 25K ride and shattered my PB by 5 mins.

Tomorrow evening will be a swim.

Not planned anything else this week yet as work is looking like a busy one. Have to swim before work I suppose.
    @blinkybaz: The harder the ball, the easier the super man is to do - so try a really pumped up one to begin with.
  • lauraflauraf Posts: 31
    Monday: 50 minute swim, 64 lengths with every eighth length front crawl

Tuesday: first bike ride, my son insisted on coming with me so a very short, very easy ride (he's only 8)

Wednesday: 40 minute swim, 40 lengths with every fourth length front crawl

Thursday: Boxercise class

Friday: missed both run and swim sessions due to a dinner party for hubby's birthday

Weekend: absolutely nothing due to after effects of said dinner party! I've only just got off the sofa
  • Hi everyone , just joined another newbie here, really driven to lose my fat tumm and get off my ar*e to motivate me i set up a training blog just for me , now people are reading it so I have to keep it up, if your bored have a look nad any help or guidelines will be taken on, I try to be honest and try harder to be funny !! well its made 2 people in the world laugh.

[color=#800080]http://tummymustgo.wordpress.com[/color]

Having good training swimming , cycling (never going to be fast at either but really enjoy both) and bad training ( Running ) If I bring a note from my mum can i get away with not doing the running bit ?

Today, Lunch 4 K run round local running trail near the office, not finding it any better at all, still struggling on this,

tuesday, Usual 1 hour spinning class average 21k , then on to running machine and see where that takes me love the spinnng classes , heart and soul goes into these, lots of fun

wednesday, nothing planned, maybe some wine , a little food ?

Thursday, turbo trainer half an hour / 45 mins , dont love this as much as spinning class, guess my garage on a cold night is not as good as a warm gym with other people

Friday, lunch swim 64 lengths crawl , really enjoying this part of the training, have improved from struggling to do 6 lengths of crawl, to doing the mile 3 times last week which was fun.

Saturday Bike 35k try and hit the the southdowns and cover some ground, good old me time,

Sunday , Rest

-------------

Target

Arundel Sprint 31st May 09

then....

• BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Saturday - short run (25mins)

Sunday am - swim: 1500m set followed by 400m, Sunday pm: 50km bike ride - such gorgeous weather!

Monday - 50mins run, 20mins core

I had a pants week last week as my health problem is flaring up.

ugh

blurredgirl

• lappieszalappiesza Posts: 36
    Well maybe a b it unfair to post here as I am preparing to swim the channel and I am covering 40km in the pool a week and now spend 17 hours a week training. That includes two rest days. The wife is NOT happy!
    swimming on back burner for a while[:@] tripped over a raised drain on friends yard anded on elbow resulting in a partially dislocated right shoulder - family laughing hysterically until saw the colour I'd gone - popped back in with a quick upward pressure and rotation back with the aid of no anaesthetic - worth having a doc in the house - but I would rather give birth again than go through that pain again - so no swimming until muscle pain gone - pah no excuses not to run now

today 30 min run followed by hour spin and my 1000 mile compression socks are lovely but now feels like my trainers are tooo big[8|]
  • Oooh dear - I feel very very new indeed!! Only just starting my tri training, going for Eton women's sprint in 15 weeks time! Sunday I had a good bike ride, about 25 miles mainly off road plus pub stop - all on mountain bike though as (as yet) I've never sat on a road bike in my life - eeek!!

Ran about 4k today which felt ok (nasty shin splints last year training for 10K)

Swimming, well to be honest have yet to get my bottom in the pool - that's tomorrow! I can breaststroke forever but my crawl is akin to an asthmatic windmill - never mind I start lessons in two weeks time.

I guess we all had to start somewhere - gulp....!

Welcome, and well done. We all have to start somewhere! Getting some coaching early on is a great idea. Watch out for the running though - you need to be extra careful to avoid injuries. Make sure you have a decent pair of running shoes, and fix a number of minutes to run - e.g. 20 mins, rather than going for distance. The distance will come as you get more efficient etc.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    1500m swim yesterdaymorning before work... 6 x 50m warm up, 2 sets of 10 mins (500m each) and 4 x 50 drills. Tired after man and back was a bit stiff in the evening. Guess that means I'm working the right muscle groups? Feel good today though, maybe it was the chocolate 'For goodness shakes' straight after (£1 on special at Tescos). Damn that #### tastes good.

Easy lunchtime run today (30min, lovely day for it) and a one hour interval turbo session tonight (oh god). Might set the turbo up in the back garden, ipod on, soundtrack from Rocky, head down.

25 mins swim last night. It was a Tuesday night in the pool again but no OAP swim club this week thank god! I did swear never to swim on a tuesday evening again but there you go, another promise to myself broken.

5 A-Side tonight.
    Turbo in the back garden....now there's a genius idea. Why didn't I think of that?? Thanks for that.

Yesterday - lunchtime swim (free thanks to an open-day): 1500m straight and slow. 400m focusing on technique. Need those 'fist' paddles methinks.

Turbo in the evening. Ssssooo boring but managed 55mins with intervals before I'd had enough.

Rest day today as I'm going out to play tonight, just swimming tomorrow and brick as usual on Friday; before going roller-blading with a mate. Does that count as training?!

blurredgirl

• deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    Monday 18km bike and 700m swim

Tuesday 18km bike and 1km swim

Today 8km run

Tomorrow bike/swim again

Friday - gym session

Am focusing on swim as much as poss at the moment and it is (thankfully) coming together
  • ScibbyScibby Posts: 55
    yo yo... My first post...

Been watching this forum for a bit and finally decided to post...

Short background: a drunken night at the pub (ah i remember those days!) led me to sign up to the Eton Sprint and the London Tri. Gulp... So have been "training" for about 3 weeks now and seriously addicted to day-dreaming about all the kit I wish I could afford...

Anyhow getting a bit lost with the training (already) so decided to go public hopefully getting back some motivation:

So here's my log:

Monday: Rest (I had a really heavy weekend!)

Tuesday: very slow very knackering 28km bike ride. My excuses: my bike is heavy, it's not a racer, it's not carbon and it's certainly not red!

Wednesday: erm nothing... got an exam tonight...

Rest of week: need 2 swimming sessions (swimming is also very weak and not sure what I can blame that on - no gills?) 1 running session (am ok with the running for now) and at least one more bike....

Hmmm...
    good for you - waiting to hear for London tri as gone for a charity place

I started my training off with 1 session at least a week of each discipline and adding an extra in the one I was most scared off - swimming oh yes and running and did I mention cycling[8|]

- and for some strange reason am now doing 2-3 swim sessions a week of an hour, 2 spin hour each, 2 runs 30 mins each, pilates 1 hour and 1 proper bike dependent on the weather - heavy week, light week cut out 1 spin and 1 swim but not run as this is the one I hate the most and am working on trying to smile let alone run whilst attempting my shambolic walk-run thing- beware this is seriously addictive

bulid up gradually, enjoy it and you'll amaze youself let alone everyone else[:-]

very excited - picking up my new bike tomorrow (well new to me) [:D][:D][:D]
    Scibby wrote:

Welcome to the fold1

training is all about building up stamina and fitness before speed and red carbon stuff.

Sounds like moonshine has hit the nail on the head, Look to get your weakest disipline stronger but dont forget to cover your bases on the other 1 or 2.

for me cycling was a nightmare, i had not riden a bike for about 15 years when I bought my racer. now I need to tell you I had never riden a racer before that. Oh my god it was so hard to get balance and motion at the same time. I am now not quick but confident.

Speed will come just get some base fitness in first. You will be fine just stick us!

@ Moonshine - Bet you will be ot all weekeend on your new dream machine.
  • So far this week I've done a 45 min swim on Monday all fc - woo hoo, all the practice does work [:D] Tuesday I did an hours run keeping HR between 145 and 155 - found that quite difficult, as soon as I hit a hill I almost ground to a halt. Wednesday I had a rest and ate bad stuff because I didn't know what to do with myself in the evening (need to give wallet and all money to wife on rest days). Today I'm doing a brick session. Friday 1hr swim drills and 1hr stretching and Pilates. Saturday is more swimming for an hour and a 3km take it easy run ready for the Marwell 10k run I'm doing on Sunday.

Blurredgirl - turbo in the garden - great idea. Inspecting the cobwebs in the garage is getting a bit boring.
    My grand swimming plans for today got binned because the pool was closed for a gala.[:@]

Brick tomorrow as planned though, long run on Saturday, might do a very long bike ride on Sunday if the weather holds.

Definately going to do the turbo in the back garden thing. My neighbours will think they've had too much beer.....

blurredgirl
    Picked up my bike today [:D][:D][:D][:D]- like a kid in a candy shop - will now admit to an e-bay purchase having been to LBS to be measured up - so now proud owner of a Giant ladies OCR in pale blue - with extras- posh ladies saddle - though not convinced that its that comfy plus Giant saddle, computer, 2 spare inner tubes, bicycle pump, front and back lights, little bag to attach to the saddle oh yes and extra adapted handlebars as previous owner had little hands and means that I can reach brakes etc really easily but also have original handlebars- AND it came with a bag for it and the wheels 2 padded elastic bag things had no idea you could have a bike bag

now just have to mange to ride my first ever road bike/drop bars god knows what the HAT will be on this but have pointed out all the pennies I've saved not having a new one[:-]
    Moonshine,

My first road bike was also an OCR from Ebay and I loved it to bits. Although since being nicked from the Isle of Thieving B*****ds and a subsequent upgrade (I won't tell you what the HAT came to for that), I still think of it fondly.

Take your new steed out somewhere quite, ride with your hands on the hoods for a while, and then try going down onto the drops for short periods to get used to it.

Have fun!

blurredgirl