Home Chat General Chat

Newbies! What training have you done this week?

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    10 K cycle sunday morning to blow out the night befores party head. It was cold for a nice sunny morning!
  • lauraflauraf Posts: 31
    Monday - am 45min swim, pm 1hr aerobics class

Tuesday - 25min run

Wednesday - am 35min swim, pm 40min bike

Thursday - 1hr boxercise class

Friday - rest day

Saturday - 45min run

Sunday - 10 mile bike was supposed to be further but hubby couldn't keep up! (ok he was on my mountain bike though)
  • yesterday: 1hr 30min gym sesh lots of running well 40 mins the 20 mins on the bike the 30 mins weights

today: swimming 1hr mite go for a run as well

tuesday: 1hr 30 mins run and an hour horse riding

wednesday: 2hr bike

thursday: 1 hr swim

friday : 2 hr bike

am ramping up the training first tri 26 days [:'(]

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Last week was pretty much as I suspected, culminating in 10K road race on Sunday.

Surprisingly, despite a lot of pain during the last 5K, my knee injury doesn't seem to have fared too badly (was expecting to have to go to the GP to get referred to a physio in a manner that would enable me to claim on the work private health insurance). I used a lot of strapping, then lots of compression afterwards. Legs (calfs and quads) are so tight today - I can barely walk. Dunno what tomorrow will be like.

Attention is now focussed on my first Duathlon on 19th April. I'm taking this very much as a "training" event - i.e. to get experience of transitions, etc. etc. Also want to get better at swimming to enable me to enter my first tri.

Unfortunately, I have horrible food poisoning, and will also be working away for the rest of the week. If I can climb from my deathbed, I will go and assemble my new turbo which arrived last week. But I am in no condition to try it out.

It's going to be difficult to put together a sensible plan around work commitments, as I am away now until May... Just trying hard to find hotels with a gym/pool that I can use nearby.

It's not the training that is the problem, it is finding the time/opportunities to do the right sort of training that is the most challenging aspect.
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    I hate you all! I have had the most awful bug - sick, high fever and now the runs.[:'(]

Today is my first day out of bed in 3 days, let alone thinking about training. Feeling enormously frustrated and hoping to get back ASAP.

Might try a gentle turbo session tomorrow....

a sick blurredgirl

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Oh dear me, there are a lot off ill people in here! Get well you lot, and don't get back training too soon!

I, on the other hand, am feeling absolutely chipper! Milo (dog) and I went for a 10k run this morning and he went straight back to bed while I went for a swim. Oh me oh my, was there some talent in the pool today! Turns out there are beach lifeguard trials in a couple of weeks. Swim training every morning til then, i reckon [;)] Very enjoyable session tho and not just for that reason...feel like a jet-propelled marlin....

I know everyone has said about it already but i'll say it again. at what stage does a gentle breaststroke belong in the fast lane?! so i moved in to the medium lane to do some drills and they were in there too!! anyone know why the lifeguards dont have a quiet word? come on, there must be a pool lifeguard out there somewhere...

Oh, and I submitted my case study today, took three months of my life but I might be a fully qualified Personal Trainer v soon. Good times! [:D]
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    he at least you get lanes I have to do my drills avoiding he rest of the lune sin the pool who are going in all directions including widths[:@]
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    sat: 20k/5k brick

sun: 5k run - light swimming

today: swimming drills + timed 100/200 meters 41.2k ride

loving training at the mo
    Day off today, kind of need it. Aside from taking an aerobics class at lunch time but that doesnt really count does it. Will amuse self by a beach walk with the dog....
    40 mins in thge pool last night. It seems every man and his dog now use the pool after 9 so its getting hard to complete lengths and drills due to people hanging on the wall at the deep end. Looks like its back to early morning swimming for me.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    well I'm finally over my cold, or at least i am going to start training again. Went for a nice 1h6min run this evening and felt good for it, found that i ran out of energy at 7 miles, but then saw how close to home i was and ushed on again. Tomorrow is bike commute (17miles round trip) then an hour swim. That's if i don't get attacked by pikey G20 proesting soap dodgers on the way home.
    Illness and the worst DOMS I've ever had since race on Sunday. Still can't walk, let alone go downstairs.

Had to scratch early morning swim on Monday.

Missed swimming lessons on Monday Evening.

Didn't got to a triathlon training session on Tuesday Evening.

And, despite the superb weather, didn't get to go out on the back yesterday, either.

The spirit was willing but the flesh was weak.

Today, I'm on the train going down to Central London - for work, rather than representing the world of Tri at the G20 summit, I hasten to had.

Picked a hotel with lousy reviews, but convenient location, which supposedly has a 25m swimming pool and a gym. My colleague will be cross when he discovers that I have picked a grotty hotel so that I can have a swimming pool/gym in budget! I will have to feign suprise "Oooh - a pool! And it just so happens that I have my swimming stuff."

If it works out then swim morning/evening with a session on a bike machine, plus some core/weights.

The knee seems to have held up better than expected - although it looks a bit swollen this morning (seems to take a day or two for the swelling to appear) - so have running shoes also, just in case I go for a little jog through the rioters/police.
    Another hard interval run last nigth. Not so sickness induceing as last time but a good run. HRM kept over 175 but not over 185. 15.20 out and 14.47 back. Cant complain about my times but I was really struggling at the end with a sore hamstring. Rest it tonight or maybe a gentle swim?
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Just been for a lunchtime run (from Bank to Westminster Bridge and back) and it was lovely and quiet apart from the helicopters overhead.

It's a sad state of affairs when the anarchists can't even do a decent riot these days!

On the upside, it's lovely weather out there for a run (or a riot).
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Thanks to the Virus from Hell I have done the grand total of nothing since last Thursday.

Tonight will be a gentle run/turbo/bike ride, depending on how I'm doing when I get off the train.

At least I feel like a human being again and have dropped a few pounds!

blurredgirl
  • ScibbyScibby Posts: 55
    4 whole days off last week due to stomach bug - though did some upper body weights on Sunday. Not sure if that counts...

New week:

Monday: Cycle 20km on new bike... Still not sure about it, sloppy gear changes, uncomfortable position hurts back hmmmmf... [:@]

Tuesday: 800m in pool followed by 50min run.. First time I've done 2 disciplines straight after each other and OMG, took me 30 minutes to settle into run...

Wednesday: Spinning class

Plan for rest of week:

Thursday: Cycle 30km

Friday: Swim 800m and Run 6-8km

Saturday: Rest / climbing

Sunday: Run 12km

Does anyone else keep questioning: is it enough? is it too much? should I do more? I do. Not that I ever land on the answer!!!

Does anyone else keep questioning: is it enough? is it too much? should I do more? I do. Not that I ever land on the answer!!!

oh yes every time especially when I've yet to reach 5k in my target time run on the other hand I can do loads more than than I could 6 weks ago so onward and upward
    You have a target time??? That's a good start!

I have a target range +/- 5 minutes for the 10km... Running is ok. At least I know I can cover the distance. Not so with swimming and cycling...[&o]

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Just done 5k run.....PB 24:29. Am starting to use mapmyrun.com to plan my runs, get accurate distances and measure ascent/decent. My run can be seen here:

My Run

This 5k has 40m ascent, i don't really know how much that slows me but judging by the way i feel when im running upwards, i'm guessing it does!

Cycled 20 mins and back to pool, swam 1500m straight (yeah, i know its frowned upon but was feeling in the mood), Ran 8k (nearly had to carry Milo the last bit) then took a circuits class.

That'll do.
    All in one day?

I don't think I like you!!! [>:]
    @gary: where does it measure ascent on mapmyrun?
    Yyyup, all in one day. I have way too much time on my hands! Wimped out on a dance class after work tho, didn't seem to have the get up and go.....? mmmm nice cup of (yorkshire!) tea and a sit down....
    A really good 1.30 hours of 5-a-side last night. i really enjoyed it and no infuries.

All the sprinting is doing me good.
    Another game of 5-a-side which I took easy but still got my bloody shin kicked again and I have a lump on the lump from before. Maybe shin pads next week.

Ih well a nice hentle granny pace game.
    Friday: Swim 800m and Run 6-8km

Saturday: Rest / climbing

Sunday: Run 12km

Scratched Friday plans as feeling tired. Saturday and Sunday off climbing which will be a welcome break from SBR... Though taking trainers, just in case...
    just added up all my metres and km thus far - and yes I know in comparison to some of you it will be pathetic but in 6 weeks I've managed 60k of running 10500 metres of swimming and 116km of bike - from doing pilates and the occasional gym session - doesn't include all the spin classes as well - not bad for a baby hefalump I thought[:D] - just looked at rest of plan and oh my god Cardiff is 5 weeks away
    Only managed an hour in the pool.

Legs so sore from Sunday's race that I thought the knee didn't hurt (that much). By Thursday the legs had recovered - the knee is sore. And swollen. And I can't really walk. So just about given up the idea of doing anything this weekend other than a swim on Sunday.

Next race in a fortnights time. Beginning to think that was a mistake. Need to get some miles in on the bike. But really need the knee for that. Sigh.
    Good weekend - Saturday 4k+ 30 min run and 19k bike- MTB as kids wanted to go on old railway never thought I'd miss my road bike this fast, plus a very short run after bike and then my first go for a run next day and knocked 4 mins of my PB for 5k [:D][:D][:D]- ok my PB in the general mix of things is fairly pathetic but I thought a reduction of 4 mins in 5 weeks is not too bad - now to crack that darn 30 min barrier
    Surfing, mostly. not really training but hey-ho. lol