Home Chat General Chat

The season so far...

I just wondered how most folks season is going whether newbie or not?

I am delighted with my progress and not being able to run the length of myself and I'm now doing 10k easily (with aid of asthma inhalers). I would admit I jumped in to early and that noticed in my times... 1hr 43 for my first sprint, loads of newbie mistakes.

Time now down to 1hr 30 and I'm sure it will continue to fall.... but more importantly what about you's? are you's enjoying the season???

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    my season feels like it is moments old as my first race was yesterday, finishing my first od in 2:33.

i did 12mins quicker than i was hoping for so feeling pretty happy, i have a personal best and plenty to work on for the next race!

right now i feel frustrated that i can't get out and try to improve my run because my feet are sore after doing a poor run. [:@]

taking nearly 15mins off your sprint time is great work s11, particularly with the asthma! top stuff.

• MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    Well I'm very much a newbie and haven't completed my first tri yet! That will be Henley Sprint on 21st June. I've pretty much run 2-3 times a week for the past 5 years, so that's my sport. Dodgy knee and boredom made me think to expand my horizons. Set my benchmark time of 45.30 for the D-day 10k in Portsmouth last week. Not my fastest but now my training is obviously a lot more varied so pretty happy. Knee is feeling pretty good down to the swimming and biking.

Haven't got a clue what to expect for my first event, did my first brick session yesterday and that gave me an inkling into the world of transition. I'm beginning to understand why it's the 4th discipline.

I think I'd be pleased with Swim (400m) 8 mins, bike (24k) 50 mins, run (5k) 25 mins. I guess a total plus transition of around 1.30. Not sure if that's a pipe dream though!
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I can honestly saythat this year has been a complete revelation. I am in my forties, and been regularly training with no real purpose, other than general fitness since my 20's. Consious that I never ran anywaher, and avoided the treadmill like the plague, preferring swiming and spinning, I decided to enter the London Marathon to force myself to run. Following a few years of applying to run the marathon and failing to get through the draw, I decided to enter the London Triathlon in August. I then though about what I had done, and started to worry that I was going to look like a complete muppet in front of the crouds of it was my first Tri, as I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing, and make all the usual newbie mistakes, so I googleda found a few low key and local events.

I therefore started triathlon training and reading up on triathlons in late January.

It's now June and I have already done 3 spirnts, with each one being quicker that the previous, and I have 4 futher sprints booked in, together with a half marathn later in the year. I am also teetering on entering a local OD at the end of June.

Since starting this escapade, I have lost 10kg, spent a small fortune on kit and entries, but loved everyminute of it. I now gointo the gym and don't even have to think what I am going to do, it's almose decided for me, treadmill, spinning, swimming, aerobics classes. I get up early and call into the pool for 15 to 20 minutes before work, and have joined the local running club and actually look forward to my Tuesday and Thursday evening runs.

I've purchased a tri wetsuit, and attended an open water swimming course, and travelled to local lakes to swim OW.

Not only is the bragging rights of being a triathlete a fringe benfit, I feel that I am fitter and healthier now than I have ever beenn. Why did I not make this decision earlier.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Glad to see everyone is making good decent progress. I personally have found triathlon a revelation to me. Coming from a muay thai boxing background for 13yrs, it was like being hit with a sledge hammer when I tried the endurance element.

Glad I done it, everyone thinks I'm crazy though.

More updates please....
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    Also total newbie...started training in jan...did 1st sprint couple of weeks ago..in jan couldn't swim, crap runner, and old MTB needed some attention but didn't know where to start...now first sprint done in 1:28 (which i am delighted with), back to training min 4 days a week, take bike apart for fun now...

Two of my sprint starter bibles are now well dog-eared and have just ordered couple more advanced ones to get cracking, and some general ones (lance armstrong & yep...coneheads!..)...aiming for 2 more sprints (also going to fit in the 3-peaks challenge!)...

all because i hit 40 this year.....now plotting the bike swap...and how to swim without my toes dragging on the floor...

This 'transition' (sorry!) to Triathlete has a huge positive impact on family, kids and friends ..more than i could have ever imagined...

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Season so far so good:

New 10k PB set back in April.

Destroyed my previous time at Blenheim on Sunday and set a new 750 open water PB.

I now have 2 oly distance tris in South Cerney and Dorney, before a couple of sprints in September. Cotswold sprint is where I really hope my training comes together - if it does I reckon I have an outside chance of getting top 3 in my age group (25 - 29).

A chap at work is trying to get me signed up to an ironman in 2010...

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    This is my second season. I'm reaping the benefits of proper training and a proper bike. PBs for everything, which I was expecting.

The best bit has been running off the bike in races. I still get jelly legs a bit but nowhere near like last year. Also last year I was getting quite bad backache at the start of the run, which I don't now thankfully.

Training is going well but I know with a bit more focus to it I can still get better, especially swim and run.

I've lost a stone.

I've not yet done my first OD (12 days and counting) but already I'm thinking about a 1/2 IM next year.

The most depressing things are (a) the amount of "stuff" I still need and (b) that I only got into this madness at nearly 33. I'm hoping improved fitness will fight off the slowing down effects of getting older, at least for a while.
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    I am also in my second season. Last year I managed three sprints and I was pretty happy, this year I though doing the UK 70.3 sounded a good idea....

Training has been pretty good except for shin splints and one major bike crash.

Two weeks ago I did the 3rd Westonbirt Sprint Tri and came in at 1:24, taking 15mins off last year's time - really pleased with that - and in five days time I will be racing at Wimbleball

All my family/friends think I am mad but I feel great have lost 13kg in a year and put a hole in my bank balance the size of some small countries' GDP - but I love it!!

Iain
  • I'm another in their second season. Had 2 sprint Tri's last year, Thame & Warwick.

My first Tri this year is not until 28th, St Albans, and then 27th July in Thame. Hopefully I will add at least one more Sprint into the season.

Pleased with the training so far as have completed first half marathon, done a 70mile very hilly sportive with a 90 miler this weekend and did the Whipsnade Stampede 10k - yes, 3 fantastic laps of the zoo and it was fab.

Haven't done much swimming over the winter but am faster than last year. Targeting to get under 1hr 10min for Thame as I'm much fitter and won't spend the same amount of time putting socks on wet feet as last year!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I've gone back a year. Picked up an injury in January - then made it worse. DNS for my first Duathlon. Scratched everything until September.

So this year is really a base year. Learning to swim. Hopefully do a few TTs on the bike. Try to keep a certain level of fitness up. Try to get better.

Spent lots. Very frustrated though.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Hang in there, Jack. You'll get there. X
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Jules wrote:

I'm hoping improved fitness will fight off the slowing down effects of getting older, at least for a while.

I've read somewhere Jules that you can expect improvements for the first seven years of involvement :-)

didds

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    didds wrote:
    ORIGINAL: Jules

I'm hoping improved fitness will fight off the slowing down effects of getting older, at least for a while.

I've read somewhere Jules that you can expect improvements for the first seven years of involvement :-)

didds

Sounds good!
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    It's my first season - I was pleased with my first "fun" tri when I finished in mid field with 1 hr 17. Got to improve the bike now and according to my coach stop being "just lazy" in the pool.

Running is, once more and forever, a complete no no sadly.

Having great fun trying though! Now just need to refine the training programme which feels a bit unstructured. Heading towards a sprint distance at the beginning of August and the North West Tri in September with detours round a walking half marathon and the Great North Swim.

I'm also enjoying the bragging rights and the incredulous looks from everyone! A typical conversation goes something along the line of: you did what???!!! and ends with me looking smug! Good job no one I know is into this or they'd know how slow I really am [;)]

• Chris JChris J Posts: 71
    Pleased everyone is getting on so well. Since overcoming my Giarda earlier in the year I re-commenced training and soon found myself back in the swing. Then 3 weeks ago cracked a rib playing football (i know i know!!) and managed one cycle since. Now slipping everything by around 3 months and targetting some late season sprints so the whole year doesn't feel written off.

Thanks for keeping me updated with all your tales of derring do. They do keep me sane in my darkest, lowest hours! Keep 'em coming.

Chris J
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    This is my second year and I'm really chuffed with how I've done...haven't really really pushed myself training but have improved enormously in the first year...it's from now on I think it gets difficult....

Season so far:

Little Dualathlon in MK - 1h24 (2.4 run 16mile bike 2.4 run) - first one ever

Big Dualathlon in MK with a 10krun 40k bike 5k run...total madness but completed it in 2h56 or 9 or something and a very knackered knee so was out for 3 weeks & my first ever 10k run..but then:

Eaton Sprint: 1h23 - amazingly wiped 12mins off my very first tri the same time/distance place as last year

Eaton 3/4 (the fact that I did a 3/4 is amazing) but managed 2h06 - swim 18m19 for 800m ([:D][:D])

Blenheim Sprint - 1h40 and came 33rd in my age group (131) - last year would have been in bottom 1/3rd so overall it's been paying off...

Like I said, now the hard work begins to improve even more - I want to be in the top 20 next time...

I am chuffed as last year I had never competed in any event apart from horseriding (gave up at 18)...and certainly didn't swim or run but did the very rare bike ride on a sunny sunday morning!!! I can happily say I am hooked, and for all of you who have started out with little or no experience, it just shows what you can do in a year with a bit of hard work!!!

Couple more to go with perhaps a sea swim on Aug...!![:D][:D]

Am looking forward to my holiday..............
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    My first season too and I'm in my first 'wow I did a triathlon' week! I did 1.46 at Blenheim; bike went really well but the swim and run need some serious work.

I'm loving it at the moment and am already wondering what I'll do when my last sprint of the year (probably Bath) is over!

The other half is doing Bala this weekend and it's great to watch all the 'proper' triathletes and ponder moving up to OD.......maybe........in a year or two!
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Season so far has been great. A steep learning curve but great.

Have done two supersprint distance tris, with first sprint coming up in August.

First tri was a great experience..learnt so much, including not trying to put a top on AFTER you've put your helmet on. Manned up for the second tri and went with the number belt option - much easier.

Been really pleased with bike performances. Maybe a bit conservative on the first one, but nailed the second one. Am adding tri bars this week so hope to see further improvement.

Finished fourth in the first and second on my second one.

Definitely need to improve bike to run, as was about two mins slower than I can do in both.

All in all loving it. Determined to put in a good sprint in August. Have another short distance next month.

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    As my old school reports said with perpetual regularity,

''Should do better,but probably will never attain to much.''
  • Have missed most of this seasons planned events, due to new arrival with another scheduled for later on this year. Will only manage one in September and a 50mile bike event in August and thats my lot.

It'll be my 2nd season, but don't really feel as if I've got off the ground. Maybe next year.

Trained well and kept great level of fitness 2swims, 2runs, 3-6 bikes per week as well as strength training. I train mostly on my own due to family and work schedule and sometimes feel as though I miss and would be better in a club.

Do most of you guys belong to a club?
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i'm a member of the local cycling club but rarely make it to meetings or rides. i aught to start showing my face there more often, particularly now the weather is improved.

sounds like you are doing well given family commitments - if i could manage your weekly regime i'd be very happy!