Home Chat General Chat

Last minute tri? - Suggestions of Pool based sprint for 28/6 or 5/7 please!

[toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
I've got my first triathlon coming un on July 19th and it's an olympic distance.

The only other race i've done was a dualathon on wednesday just gone.

Would it be a bad idea to get a last minute sprint distance race in? and when I say last minute it'd be in 2 weeks.

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Sounds a good plan. Get some real life swim to bike transition practice for one thing.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Yeah, go for it. If you're training properly for OD then a sprint will just be like normal brick session distances (ok, with a 'warm-up' swim on the front) with the added bonus of practising your transitions and testing out your kit when you're soaking wet.

If you're not bothered about your time or performance then just swap it in for your normal Sunday long ride or brick, take it nice and steady and train straight through it. If your going to go for it a bit then a 2 or 3 day mini-taper leading up and a nice easy swim the next day should see you right.

Personally, I'd train through it if the upcoming OD was an 'A' race, but then I am a complete idiot.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    If youre west country which it seems you might be, Votwo have an OW sprint on 21st June near Cirencester. I'm using it as a kind of practice for my oly on July 12th......
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    Jesster wrote:

If youre west country which it seems you might be, Votwo have an OW sprint on 21st June near Cirencester. I'm using it as a kind of practice for my oly on July 12th......

My olympic is a pool based tri, as such i don't yet have a wetsuit.

So i need a pool based tri between now and then.

Unfortunately i can no longer do the one in 2 weeks as the girlfriend tells me i'm busy that weekend, so any other suggestions for a pool based sprint nearish to Bristol either 28th June or 5th July would be appreciated.

• risris Posts: 1,002
    probably a bit close but bradford-on-avon is july 12.

the other one i know about is marlborough sprint on june 28, but that might be a bit more of a trek from bristol.

i'm hopefully down for the bath OD so see you there.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Which tyri are you thinking of in 2 weeks time? I am looking for something around then!
    ris wrote:

the other one i know about is marlborough sprint on june 28, but that might be a bit more of a trek from bristol.

Marborough sprint was the one I was thinking of, but I think it's 21st June, not 28th. Where have you seen 28th?

Cool, see you in Bath!

Blinkybaz wrote:

Which tyri are you thinking of in 2 weeks time? I am looking for something around then!

Was thinking of Marlborough Sprint

http://www.conceptsport.co.uk/events.php?pid=1109

I would have joined you on the 28th. As its the 21st I have a 10K I have alrerady paid for in Martock.

You must be local to Bristol or at least that part of the South West! Might see you at some other tri's.
    Dooh! i see from your bit under your name you are from Bristol! Are you doing the one near thronbury in the private school?
    Blinkybaz wrote:

Dooh! i see from your bit under your name you are from Bristol! Are you doing the one near thronbury in the private school?

Yeah maybe, That's Bristol Triathlon. It's the weekend after my first Olympic so still not sure.

Are you ?

• risris Posts: 1,002
    [toPh] wrote:
    ORIGINAL: ris

Marborough sprint was the one I was thinking of, but I think it's 21st June, not 28th. Where have you seen 28th?

Cool, see you in Bath!

sorry, you are right, marlborough is the 21st. duh![:@]

tri247 doesn't have much on the 28th.

not had any race information from bath yet but hopefully soon. the world is small enough that we'll probably be in the same lane of the pool! blinkybaz, hopefully see you at a few of the south west events, too.

i thought that bristol would too much for me to manage so soon after bath. i've given myself 2weeks between cricklade (yesterday) and marlborough and i'm starting to wonder if that's leaving it a bit fine!