Home Chat General Chat

Oh dear god, an ironman...............

2»

Comments

• ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    Did anyone know running had such a pronunced catabolic effect? I appear to have misplaced 2kgs this week...................

same here man. did 2 high tempo 45min runs this week so far and the pounds are falling off me. Just under 14st now. Lightest I have been in 10 years id say. Always had bulk for rugby and football, totally different body needed now.

ik
  • Hi, Is there anyone who can help with fueling for IM I am entered this year but all the advice on fueling gives me a headache its all numbers and % is there a rough guide that I can try in training for a male 28, 78kg??? I have the powerbars and gels and the gatorade but just not sure how many to take and when, at the moment on long rides I aim for 1 bar a hour and 1 bottle of gatorade. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Anyone training in the Kent area??

Thanks

• WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    My own nutrition plan is bloody simple:

20min - Powergel, 250ml water

40min - Powergel, 250ml water

60min - Cliff Oatmeal and Raisin bar, 500ml Gatorade

Repeat until you finish the bike!!!! [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image] Unless you feel like crap, then go for either an emergency Snickers bar or Wine Gums!

I am based in SE London, and have cycled out into Kent a few times. Could be interested in same training rides..........

• ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    al ford...mate i am not an expert on this, but if you are doing IM UK in august, i would not do a full marathon in 4 weeks. i did my first im in 2006, in 11hr 20, which was semi pleasing. hoping to go better this year. i was going to do the london marathon this year but pulled from it as entered IMUK.

from my understanding, and experience, the full 26.2 takes too much out of the body, will take approx 2-3 weeks to recover fully, and you will be sacrificing important sessions in your base periods. for marathons and the IM you do not need to do a run longer than 20m. i dont know if you have run marathons before, but dont worry about the distance. in 2006, my marathon, was sub 4hr, but had good spells of walking.

hope am not being a spoil sport, but i would focus on your one or two big event this year, presumably the ironman, and use other events as training for it - but a marthon too big.
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    OK folks - thanks for all the input ref marathon in 3 weeks. After taking careful consideration...bugger it I'll do it anyway.

Only joking, it's a 2 lap course so I'm going to bail out after lap 1 and do a 1/2 marathon and just put it down as part of my regular training program.

I might even cycle to the start ....

great advice. so thanks to all of you. [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]