Home Chat General Chat

Turbo Trainers.. advice wanted

Please take pity on me...

After 2 successive unsuccessful days of not being able to cycle to work, I dusted off and tried my old exercise bike upstairs.... thought there was a reason why i didn't use it.....

I now know I need a turbo trainer to see me through these cold, dark nights...

A couple of questions:

1. I am about to upgrade my old Raleigh 501 racer for a new shiny (hopefully) carbon bike - which bike would I use on the turbo trainer? My new bike to save it from the training/elements until it's summer or my old bike?

2. I've read the reviews in 220 and picked out a Tacx Sirius Soft Gel - any comments from owners - any other recommendations?

3. How does the turbo work - there is a lever that alters the resistant?? - does it matter how many gears the bike has then?

Thanks

Scott

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Use the old bike - sweat wrecks a good bike and also I believe the constant movement/vibration/stressing in the same places weakens and softens the frame. Buy an indoor training wheel and put it on the old bike - it saves a lot of mucking about changing wheels and the like.

In the cheaper models -Less is More! I keep the bike in the 12 (or13) sprocket and keep the resistance neutral or "+1". I do intervals by changing gears on the bike as its more naturl ie I believe that you develop experience and a feel for the bike's gearing

• jossjoss Posts: 1
    Keep your old bike for the turbo and also use it as a winter/trainer. You can do both just take it on and off the turbo. Keep the turbo simple, £130 ish will get you a good one. I've got a very old wind trainer, makes a heck of a noise but does the business.Keep your new carbon bike for racing and summer dry miles. I also use the gears on the bike (mainly because the trainer doesn't have a resistance lever) and have never had a problem making the workout hard enough! Other tips would be to use a heart rate monitor but don't get to hung up with it, use it as a guide to see how hard you are working. Don't forget a towel some good tunes and a fan if possible.
  • Hi Scott,

I've bought the Tacx Sirrius Gel. It is a great piece of kit. The instructions for initial assembly are a bit dodgy but once it's built it's dead easy to use.

There is a lever at the back which allows you to offer the fly wheel up to your bike wheel. You get a resistance lever with 10 settings 1-easy, 10-hard. The Tacx is good because you can set the resistance and then use your bike gears, a feature that some others don't offer.

Getting your bike on and off is easy and simple and it stores flat.

Hope this helps..........I know the Turbo has helped me on my RPM 100+ sessions.

• Hi Scott

Have to agree with firefightergaz, the sirrius is a great, affordable turbo. I'm not the smallest bloke in the world and it feels rock solid, even when pounding out of the saddle. The lever to adjust the resistance is quite stiff to operate, but you wont have any problems with it as long as it is attached securely to your bars.

I believe it's also quite quiet compared to some other turbo's.....

Enjoy!