Home Chat General Chat

I needed to go fast.........

So the Ironman demons are doing the latest round on my body and mind. I've lost all patience (ability) to just plough through the miles on the bike, and plod the pollution filled streets of london.

So for my own sanity I threw in a speed interval session on the treadmill early doors this morning. Man - it felt good to be going fast (relatively).

Intervals - 1 min on: 1 min off @ 13.5 kph, 14 kph and 15 kph. 5 reps at each speed. Easy HR's. 150 at end of rep, 110 at start.

Feeling good now and definitely glad I did it even though it's not applicable to my IM race.

Have any other wannabe Ironmen done anything ad-hoc and out of left field to beat the demons?!?!?!

Comments

• al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    Yep I'm aso chucking in some interval training on the run & bike.

Following 'beironfit' the 2 x1hr runs during the week include some Z4 intervals. The long run at weekend is still the long plod.

The ride during the week is intervals and then again the long pedal at wekends.

Putting some hill work in for the bike - trying to arrange the weekend ride to include a few lumps. Also going out with a club who always seem to sprint the hills ... that definitely breaks the slow and steady regime.

Loving the intervals - and yeah it feels good to get a bit of speed in the legs.

• EdstgEdstg Posts: 83

with only 4 weeks to go!!!!1 I am doing as much as i can to keep everything varied in the week, especially routes pacing etc the weekend rides/runs are a long slow plod. I do all weekend stuff in richmond park, last weekend i did 180km - i reckon if i can get through the utter tedium and monotony of that, the loop in lanzarote will be a breeze. i know this to be bollocks but let me keep believing it, it seems to help.

• WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    180km in Richmond Park?!?!? My god. That's about 18 laps then. If it stays warm then it'll be fairly realistic minus the real massive hills! At least RP has a steep climb at one point.

I fully applaud your dedication to push out the full 180km though in RP.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    wow! you did a 180 k ride in training? the race will be easy for you!
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    COMEDY POST WARNING

- So two weeks ago I went and cycled the IMUK Bike Course that is 'provisionally' published. Took notes and all sorts of info from it.

- Just re-read the page and I cycled the wrong way round it!!! BRILLIANT[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image]
  • Edstg wrote:

with only 4 weeks to go!!!!1 I am doing as much as i can to keep everything varied in the week, especially routes pacing etc the weekend rides/runs are a long slow plod. I do all weekend stuff in richmond park, last weekend i did 180km - i reckon if i can get through the utter tedium and monotony of that, the loop in lanzarote will be a breeze. i know this to be bollocks but let me keep believing it, it seems to help.

Jesus man!!! Utter boredom. I can manage half a lap of the park before i get bored and head out to the surrey hills!!! Why not utilese the area and head out to effingham/guildford. Its got hills, good TT parts and keeps the mind off the park.

That and i think i would end up shooting the Dynamos in the Park.

If you want to ride long with someone then give me a bell, you can join me on my training rides. I'll take you on a nice route or two!!!
  • EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    don't even get me started on the dynamo - you are not the only person who thinks doing the park for 6 hours is slightly mad... maybe getting out wuould be a good idea... the only problem is i have to start at 7am on saturday mornings due to kids and angry wife at home - if yuo can't make it can you suggest a good route?

ed

• ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    agreed! the need for speed to keep motivation. You could try and make the intervals more specific by increasing the length of them. ie intervals of between 5-10 mins, with a 2-4 min recovery, after the wu, keep the sessions to about 45-50 min. that way they should be slightly more specific, will help your base speed, and you can endure the pain for longer!

• husslerhussler Posts: 237
    You should still do Interval training even though your doing IM, If you dont then you wont be able to race fast.

Im planning on doing my first IM in 2010, I know my coach will have me doing intervals up the ying yang in order for me to be able to hold a fast enough pace for a 4:30-5hr bike leg and run the marathon in around 3hrs-3:30 course depending....

Im hoping for around a 9:30 finish time... but I wouldnt even get close to that if i didnt include interval sessions.....

IM isnt about long slow stuff like alot of people think...

If you train at a pace of say 16-17mph on the bike and 9-10min miling because its long distance then you wont be able to race at a faster speed because if you try then you body will give up the ghost in no time at all!

Do alot of training at anticipated race pace, as well as doing long slow stuff to so you do get the aerobic base. I currently race at HIM and O3 distance (4k, 120k, 30k) so Its not far off IM stuff anyway...
  • Edstg wrote:

don't even get me started on the dynamo - you are not the only person who thinks doing the park for 6 hours is slightly mad... maybe getting out wuould be a good idea... the only problem is i have to start at 7am on saturday mornings due to kids and angry wife at home - if yuo can't make it can you suggest a good route?

ed

I cant make this saturday, but next week would be good. If you want you could join up with my team. We meet in Richmond Park at 7.30am by Roehampton Cafe.

We will do upto 75 miles on the bike and then an hour long brick run afterwards in the park. Bikes are looked after by our coach. I normally go out a bit earlier and do a couple of laps of the park beforehand to get some extra miles in.

PM me if interested......i'll give you my coaches number and you could even meet them this week. Although numbers maybe down as lots of us are racing Sunday.

Offers open to anybody else looking for a friendly, competitive team in South West London.