Home Chat General Chat

Newbies welcome here....

2»

Comments

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Oh, and you'll see me at events next year sporting a rather large smiley face on my leg!
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    This year! i meant this year!! oh god, where's my brain....?
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    My 2p. Been posting and reading here for a wee while but am a newby in the sport (and probably always will be!).

The boring stuff : 46 yrs old, grew up in Kent, uni in Wales, backpacked around the world twice (4 years in total), married with 3 kids, live in Wiltshire. I.T. support (unix) contractor, currently out of contract (so gizza job!)

The real stuff: pre-puberty was pants at all sport, didn't really like it much. Post puberty was/am still pants at sport but love it. Played cricket to a decent enough standard until mid 20s then crappily until I became a dad. Spent ages 13-45 yrs playing rugby, predominantly prop - played in 8 countries around the world and am the first Englishman to score a 5 point try (New Zealand 1992).

Played some very poor squash in Germany and NZ, and some even poorer football in Sarf Lunnon and Germany.

Have coached rugby for almost ten years and am halfway through my level 3 award but doubt I'll finish it for various reasons. Had a totally pants 2007-8 season, very dissillusioned with coaching and rugby generally now, except with kids that demand nothing and enjoy it for what it is - a truly great game that transcends life. Am a writer/contributor for Dan Cotterrell's rugby coaching newsletters (which I do enjoy greatly).

Diagnosed with diabetes II in 2006, joined gym. Went berserk in 2007, attended gym 418 times in the year, 57 times in June alone. Lost almost 6 stones. Set new goals for 2008 - 10K -and 2009 - a triathlon (super sprint). Knocked them both off by september 2008 along with some aquathlons for good measure.

Totally besotted with the training and the tri life. Recently completed first half marathon - lugging 16 stones around Paris was bloody hard but I 'kin did it! :-)

So pleased I have almost by accident found something to OCD about after rugby and looking forward to a (no doubt pants!) tri career to follow on from my mediocre rugby and cricket careers and sh1te squash and football ones!!

Tri Plan -

2009 - first full sprint, first Oly

2010 - first 70.3

2012 - maybe, maybe... first (and only?) IM distance.

didds