Home Chat General Chat

Garmin 305 Heart Rate monitor Ð waterproof?

This came up the other day.

The consensus was that the strap is OK.

You could ask the original poster if he's ruined his!

This is one is From March - about the 305 specifically

This one is more general: from February

Comments

• Is my heart rate monitor for my Garmin 305 waterproof? I’m doing a Tri at the weekend and I wanted to know if I can wear it while swimming and save myself time in T1 without having to put it on..
  • Cheers Jack
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    I asked this a week or so back. I emailed Garmin, they said it isn't swim proof so I didnt swim in it.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    they said it isn't swim proof

Just the strap, or the whole unit?

I have a 405 - the watch definitely isn't because of the exposed charging points.

Unlike my polar, which has a completely sealed "send it back to get the battery changed" strap, the Garmin has a user changeable battery - i.e. you can unscrew a cover in the middle of the strap.

I don't mind not wearing the watch - but wouldn't want to have to struggle to get an HRM strap on in T1.

I'd probably just revert to the polar - although I like the ability to see how far you've gone - especially useful on bike routes with laps in them, so you don't have to worry about loosing count so much.

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Both items are not swim proof.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    eek swam in my Garmin 301 HRM strap with watch in sealed bag on edge of pool and no ill effects suppose if I drown it that would be an excuse to have the new one[:D]