Home Chat General Chat

What a difference...

timtim Posts: 43
Tim - I found that my time fell as much as yours did just by pulling on the right kit.

I wear some Orca Tri shorts to swim in and it even fells easier.

With regard to swim wear to train in there is a school of thought that more resistance helps to develop better muscle and swim power. I also believe that you need to be comfortable in what you are going to race in.

Comments

• timtim Posts: 43
    ...swimmers make

I have been swimming regularly in the mornings, 1mile in usually around 33mins, today it took 29, i'd like to think i have improved this much but i am thinking i have to put this down to a change in swimwear. I was wearing your bog standard shorts, not boardies but certianly not skin tight, today i tried out my new skin tight boxer style swim shorts was a little self consious (i felt they were riding up somewhat!) but to make that much of a dent in my swimming time its gotta be worth it. Anyone else found this to be the case?

does wearing the right stuff in the water really make that much difference?

another question is should i be training in baggy stuff to make the training harder? is it beneficial to be fighting the drag in training?

cheers

Tim
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Wow that's superb news Tim and a great time!

As Baz mentions above I'm in the baggy shorts camp for training to make me work harder (or more efficiently).

Interesting post though, might even give the skin tight speedo's a go, see what difference it makes.
  • halfanironmanhalfanironman Posts: 129
    yeah, i was convinced i was never going to "get it" with the front crawl. then one day i put on my ironman "skins" type shorts , sucked up the belly and hit the pool.big big difference.
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Dunno if I'd go fully European here, but just wearing some proper swimming shorts made all the difference. Plus, you don't end up with a comedy balloon following you down the pool.
  • timtim Posts: 43
    so a change in kit really does makes all the difference, now if my new bike makes the same %age dent i'll be laughing.

also seems the best option is to train in baggies some of the time (for resistance) and in something nearer your race wear (for tru feel and getting used to the kit)

makes sense to me

cheers
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    the 'borat' is a very streamlined model i believe
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Ron99 wrote:

Dunno if I'd go fully European here, but just wearing some proper swimming shorts made all the difference. Plus, you don't end up with a comedy balloon following you down the pool.

Additional benefit is that the 'comedy balloon' keps my butt from sinking ... maybe it should to add even more resistance, but then I'd be walking under water on the pool floor ...
  • abrewerabrewer Posts: 41
    Try waxing all the hair from your body as well and that should knock at least another 30 secs off.......