Home Chat General Chat

Resistance Trainer (turbo) vs. Gym exercise bike

2»

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Congrats Jack, i know how hard it can be choosing!

Bottom line. I want to (and will) order a trainer today, I don't want to spend more than i need to, i will forgo the computer BUT it must be smooth and quiet.

Please can i have your final recommendations (no more than £150)??
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Just a quick note for the thrifty... you don't have to ever have a separate tire for your turbo. Just don't throw away your old bald tires. They're nice and slick and will stick perfectly to the turbo.

Now you can spend that extra money on an all carbon bottle cage behind your seat, or an aero cover for your water bottle hanging off your bars, or beer!
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Gary - I would choose Tacx Satori (£150) or the Sirrus (£110ish) :)

Happy Turboing

have ordered the Sirius. We shall see.....
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    garyroberts wrote:

have ordered the Sirius. We shall see.....

Where did you find the for the best price in the end?

I'm in the market for a trainer too and this one sounds quite good.

Hi toPh

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/3252/Tacx-Sirius-Soft-Gel-Folding-Magnetic-Trainer.html?referrer=froogle1 £110

But i had a £20 voucher for wiggle and have always had perfect service from them so went for this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Tacx_Sirius_Soft_Gel_Folding_Magnetic_Trainer/5360039757/

it will arrive today!
    I'm in the market for a trainer too and this one sounds quite good.

first impressions are ok. had it unpacked and assembled in about 15 mins, a few tight components! Don't know if that's how it is designed or if its just a little generous on manufacturing tolerances! Anyway, bike on and had a 5 min spin (i realise this is far from a qualified OR experienced opinion), first on all, it has all the resistance i want in a trainer, i had a sweat on even after a short time. Its quiet at low/medium speeds but does start to sound like a generator at top end speeds! The resistance adjustment is good, with a bar level that has 10 levels (well, 10 clicks anyway). I didn't get a front wheel riser and i wonder if that's why there seems to be a fair amount of bike movement during spinning???? Or if that's because the trainer flexes quite a lot.

That's my first impressions out of the box. Only 5 mins experience, but that's what first impressions are supposed to be. At present, i like it and am pleased [;)]
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Trainers are useful if you dont have a gym membership... Not worth if you do in my opinion. Even then I may be tempted to get a nice road bike-set up-able excerise bike - its a hassle setting up the trianiner everytime.

GO to a spinning class, or just on the standard bike, reclined bike... Its all good training.

Niether a trianer or a excerise bike beat getting out on the road... a real hill, or a real bend, or a real idiot motorist... both triainer and ex-bike allow you to get used to varying resistance (building leg strength / controlled reps etc.) and maintaining good cadence/ pedal technique.

No your are on you bike but being fixed in a staionary posituion is not much good practice for your positioning anyway!. (As all who have fitted their bike to themselves on a trianiner and then gone out on the road have I am sure found out!)..

Personally I prefer the excersise bike at the gym... after a bit of a row and before a bit of a jog and some weights then a swim nice way to spend a raininy day.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    Tacx satori on e-bay for buy it now £100 + £18 p+p 300300483964 or another on auction

[image]http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gif[/image]

[image]http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gif[/image]