Home Chat General Chat

First OW experience

JulesJules Posts: 987
I went along to the tri club river swim tonight. I was really quite nervous, which meant I felt a bit tight chested which didn't help with the actual stroke. I knew all the theory but this was my first chance to find out what it was like in reality.

As expected it was bloody cold, but I got used to that rather quickly. Not being able to touch the floor was very strange.

What really took some getting used to was the colour of the water - very dark muddy brown! I literally could not see my hands in front of my face. The effect was every time I put my head in the water I panicked, and pulled my head straight back up, to be able to see ahead. Obviously that was not good for swimming properly. It took me a long time to relax and to trust myself to swimming "blind" and just looking where I was going occasionally.

The whole experience was rather stressful, but very useful and I'll be trying again next week!

Comments

• scott_burrowsscott_burrows Posts: 381
    Hey Jules,

Same for me.. first experience was very stressful and I wondered if I could ever do it properly, the second wasn't that much better.

I found I struggled to breathe, get a rythm and I fatigued really esaily.

I had my first OW race yesterday, only my third ever OW experience.. however.. for the actual race day things seemed to fall into place better (not perfectly, just better).

lots of different/new issues from the race... however.. you will cope... once into the race situation things will work!!

Best of luck and just believe you'll do it...

Scotty
  • handangeohandangeo Posts: 32
    My first OW swim aswell today. Didnt mind the cold too much BUT................

Fatigued really fast could not do more that 20 strokes and then had to breaststroke for a while.

Shoulders found it very hard to get moving in my wetsuit, seemed out of breath alot maybe due to the cold.[first time in wetsuit aswell]

Was very disappointed after 4 months of training where i can easily nail the distance [1500m]

Any advice?????

George
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    handangeo wrote:

My first OW swim aswell today. Didnt mind the cold too much BUT................

Fatigued really fast could not do more that 20 strokes and then had to breaststroke for a while.

Shoulders found it very hard to get moving in my wetsuit, seemed out of breath alot maybe due to the cold.[first time in wetsuit aswell]

Was very disappointed after 4 months of training where i can easily nail the distance [1500m]

Any advice?????

George

What you experienced is not unnatural,the wetsuit is constricting,both in the arms so you feel that the arm motion is not as fluid as it should be,the chest is constricted,so your breathing is shallow,hence you almost hyperventilate,and feel that you are quickly running out of air.Now try swimming with 500 hundred other like minded souls all trying to swim over you whilst you feel like your having a panic attack,it does get easier as you prctice more,the feeling of constriction and lack of air goes after a coupleof minutes,so before the race starts get in the water and warm up slowly,let the cold water circulate into the wetsuit and warm up,thats what it is deseigned for,swim breaststroke and crawl to loosen up the joints and get used to the constriction.If it is cold,expel the air quickly,again this helps to ease the constriction.To avoid getting swum over,start at the back,or off to the sides,a steady pace going in the right direction,is a lot quicker than being pushed,jostled etc by others forcing you out of the natural rhythm.As the wetsuit is constricting you have to put more effort into the arm action as you bring it forward,but this can be offset,by just slowing the arm motion down a fraction,so as to reduce fatique.Hope this helps.