Home Chat General Chat

Is there such a thing as the 'right training program'?

Hi All,

I have been training now for the past 3 months for all of the 3 disciplines and I am seeing some good improvements across the board. However the problem of fitting work, family and training into the week is proving hard..... This week I have just gone through pure exhaustion, I feel the constant high of my training sessions but I have noticed that the improvement is not happening quite as quickly as I had hoped.

My worry is I am over training (if there is such a thing) and not getting the balance right across the disciplines. I am currently following a training plan I found on runners world which is good but has anyone any advice on methods to gain the max from my training without burning out????

Help on this matter would be appreciated, I am so determined to complete my first olympic tri next summer!!

cheers

Dave

Comments

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Welcome to the world of tri!

Trying to fit everything in is one of the hardest parts.Getting up at 5 am for that pre-work training swim or run, late night turbo's,...

On the other hand training hard is not getting you anywhere without good nutrition! and enough rest/recovery. Don't go all out all the time, train smart!!

Read this forum for all info or ask specific questions to ask others opinions, be consistent and you'll get there in the end.( defo if finishing a tri is your goal).
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    For the 'right training program', you could read a couple of books to get you on the subject, for instance: Joe Friel's "triathlete's training Bible".

Or you could join a club/ get personal coaching.

• BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    I will echo what Benny says about nutrition and rest. Giving your body time to recover is just as important for improving fitness as training itself.

Also, don't be worried if the improvements you see are slowing down. Depending on how de-conditioned you were before you started training it is inevitable that you would have seen sharp improvements early on. As you get fitter the percentage in improvement will be smaller. As long as you are still improving then you are doing fine.

David.
  • AndreAndre Posts: 103
    There's definitely such a thing as over training and it's a remarkably easy trap to fall into! Echoing what the other's have said, it's essential to build your training programme around the principals of periodisation, because the simple fact of the matter is, no one can train at ever increasing levels of activity without giving their body sufficient time to recuperate.

The best thing you can do, and this is such a cliche, is to listen to your body - if you're exhausted, rather than just a little tired or sore, you'll be doing yourself way more harm than good by continuing to train. Take a few days out, spend some time with the family or catch up any work you may have been putting off.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    After much scientific research at the 'Dog and Duck' it has been decided that the Right Training Programme is the one that will not leave you feeling PARANOID that you have not done enough training.Triathlon triples (or quadruples if you include T1 and T2) the amount of sports disciplines that you need to train in,and I am still waiting for my reply from WADA to see if they will release Prozac from the banned list.

• I'll echo Andre on the danger of over training warning.

Balancing work, and family with training is really tough. Especially if, like me, you have young kids so don't get a lot of sleep.

I wouldn't worry about 'completing' an Olympic Tri next summer. I've no doubt you'll do it!

Just try and enjoy the training for now, develop your techniques, and build an aerobic base for training in the Spring.

I try and fit my base training in with cycling/running to work, Parkrun and then swim on a Saturday. Adds up to about 6 hours, if I include a track run and turbo session in there.

Come Spring, I'll start open water swimming again at 6am a couple of times a week and longer bike rides at night.

I did 2 months base training before my first Sprint Tri, and then got hooked! Fitting 4 Tris and an Aquathalon into the space of 7 weeks!

With all the time you have between now and next summer, you're gonna be just fine[;)]
  • thanks for all of your comments - from what people have said, it makes more sense, I just need to accept that its not all gonna happen over night. I think its about time to have a bit of a rest and concentrate on the enjoyment factor - rather than the constant pressure of wanting to always improve!!

On a dietary note, what is the best route to take? I eat relitively healthily with the occasional run to the chinese, but do I need to consider adding anything particualr to my diet going forward?

Thanks for all of your help thus far!

Cheers

Dave
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    I try to work on:

[ul][*]2 runs

[*]2 swims

[*]2 Bike[/ul]

I do my biking on the weekend as i have more time and can usually fit the others around work during the week.

Over the year i've been trying to gradually build up the distance on each.

SMall 10% increases seem to be the key - break the 'Lore' and you risk injury.

G
  • Hi Conehead.....

Loved the book.....

Best read I'v had in years......

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    My philosophy is if genuinely tired then rest If you want to lose weight no food after 5.00pm (regardless of training done or about to do); think of the hunger pangs as weight being shed. Training wise I have 4 key sessions that I MUST do each week; the others are just fillers to keep me out of trouble and off the drink