Home Chat General Chat

Open water swimming

Hmm. That sounds like me in the pool...

... More helpfully, I suspect that it will be a case of practice! - review what went on to day - both consciously, and then subconsciously (sleep on it!). Think some specific things to do next time, which aren't too challenging (e.g. 12 strokes head down, then a rest). Just to get comfortable and confident.

Focus on the improvements that you've made since the first go - rather than are far off you are from where you want to be..

Good luck!

Comments

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    ok - courtesy of the sessions I've done tips from Conehead and crew

1 breath in through nose and out through mouth 4 times in 1 minute - helps you to relax

2 get in slowly

3 lie on back and float around a bit, more slow breaths

4 lie on front, breath bubbles into water - if its not being able to see the bottom practice in pool with eyes shut

5 once feel relaxed do 10 strokes, breath every 2 - if feel panic go back to 1 but not 2

if no panic 10 more or if buoys or landmarks in water swim to them, split 750m up - swim with someone who likes OW but also understands why it would freak you out. Amazingly so far its the one thing that hasn't completely freaked me out.

out of interest where did you go? Looking for an OW lake somewhere in Wales[:D]
  • moonshine wrote:

ok - courtesy of the sessions I've done tips from Conehead and crew

1 breath in through nose and out through mouth 4 times in 1 minute - helps you to relax

2 get in slowly

3 lie on back and float around a bit, more slow breaths

4 lie on front, breath bubbles into water - if its not being able to see the bottom practice in pool with eyes shut

5 once feel relaxed do 10 strokes, breath every 2 - if feel panic go back to 1 but not 2

if no panic 10 more or if buoys or landmarks in water swim to them, split 750m up - swim with someone who likes OW but also understands why it would freak you out. Amazingly so far its the one thing that hasn't completely freaked me out.

out of interest where did you go? Looking for an OW lake somewhere in Wales[:D]

I did cosmeston triathlon, cardiff. Swimming is not aloud in the lake to the public, just for this event. It comes with a health warning.
    hmmmm

you could always go for a trundle up the M4 to Blueseventy in Reading - that's great to swim in

Tues/Thurs open from 5.30pm until twilight and Sat 8 -10am so not toooooo far from Cardiff

otherwise apparently also http://www.runaroundsports.co.uk/training.htm this lot in Worcestershire Thurs 5-7pm followed by a run if you want to join in with that I've not been but thinking about it as finding something around here proving a challenge
  • TripeHoundTripeHound Posts: 11
    Moonshine - for OW water swimming in Wales try here: http://wildswimming.co.uk/wild-swimming-wales.html

Hopefully not too far off thread but had a great weekend! I have been openwater swimming for the first time this weekend (bought first wet suit this week - very excited!!)- first test in Conwy Bay (sea) didn't work very well - like swimming in a tumble drier and just below the threshold of panic!!

However, found above website and went to this place today:

[/align]"Melyn Llyn, Yellow Lake: The highest lake in Wales, the yellow lake is also one of the most remote and is set adjacent to the 'black lake' (Llyn Dulyn). Approach from Dolgarrog to the east and follow the waterfalls of Afon Dulyn"

[/align][/align]My wife came along too (after watching me in sea yesterday and purchasing a wet suit) to Melyn Llyn . Amazing walk up and then what a brilliant swim - in a 'bowl' in the mountains on a hot sunny day. Wow - this triathlon training gets you to some great places! Had a great swim - splashed around in the shallows and then built confidence up (once my head had gone numb from the cold) and went up and down the lake! [/align] [/align]What a glorious day! (Day started off with a run up Conwy mountain (very small mountain) at 8 am)[/align] [/align]Cheers Tripehound[/align] [/align] [/align] [/align]
  • nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    I went to the Blueseventy swim on Tuesday and they were great I would highly recommend it. I know I don't know you at all Ministry, but my brother and I are going down from Cardiff on Thursday afternoon if you want?

Or if you want have a look on the Cardiff Tri website they do open water swimming in Port Talbot every now and then.

One last point you're not alone I totally freaked out two weeks ago at an aquathon.

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    It's worth having a look at the Bryn Bach Park Aquathlon on the last Thursday of the month
  • sevenspudsevenspud Posts: 45
    I had a massive panic few weeks ago in first OW race. Massive shock. Also swam cosmeston today and found it ok, swam 17 minutes (slow) but managed to control my HR and composure. Flew the bike and run making over 50 places, if only i could swim fast.

I find that when I swim in a lake with a few friends its ok, but put me in a race with a hundred or more and its a different story. With a bit of practice it should be ok, at least thats what im telling myself as I get ready for IMUK, the fear of failing to complete the swim is constantly nagging me.

Bryn Bach Park Aquathlon
    TripeHound wrote:

Moonshine - for OW water swimming in Wales try here: http://wildswimming.co.uk/wild-swimming-wales.html

now that sounds good shame that I live in the bit of Wales that makes everywhere else in Wales 1 to 2 hrs away[&:]

Ohh can you swim at Bryn Bach anyway or only when competitions?
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I think you can only swim when a competition us on. There is a Tri on June 27th as well.