Home Chat General Chat


What is your h.r. max and has it decreased as you got fitter?

6 months ago mine was 194 bpm, and today i got to 182bpm flat out on treadmill on an incline ??????


  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    you can get flat out on a treadmill? I hate those things, I always find I can run a lot faster on the road!

    So when you got 194 when did you record this? When you were at 182 were you a 10 on you're RPE? There are many factors that could come into this. If you weren't feeling tip top you may have felt like you were maxing out but you werent completely. Also make sure you look out for overtraining, as one of the 1st signs to notice is an inability to raise HR. But normally this is a lot lower, when I had my overtraining spell last year I couldn't elevate mind above 150! So I reckon you're fine!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    This is quite interesting. I've actully stopped recording my HR. Mainly due to a wish to keep the Winter base training fun ie a target HR gets in the way of getting the session done as I want to do it. This thread has motivated me as has reading over old and then some very old training diaries, and as I'm upping the ante a bit after next week I'll start recording HR data again
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I have not tried this as such but according to miller whatever calculation that is mine should be 188 for my age - considering I have only in the last 6 months started exercising I have reached 192 on my HRM - never actually tried to go all out running though. I will possibly try to get this next week just as a personal reference.

  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    It is generally accepted (but then again so was 220 -age) that maxHR is genetically determined & will not alter even with intense training, so as Tommi says any fluctuation could be due to recovery (or not), hydration, time of day etc etc.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Max HR will drop with age - hence the 220 - age formula.

    Aside from the overtraining issues mentioned (along with illness, tiredness, too hot, too humid etc which can affect test results), if you get fit, as in endurance fit, it can become harder to work the body enough to get up to your Max HR - them legs and arms just won't go fast enough! This can sometimes explain why repeating an test doesn't show the same results - you would have to redefine the test to get to the point of maximum stress (i.e. try hard, longer, with more reps/steep hill or whatever). I suspect this may well be the case here - you need to put that treadmill on its steepest incline, or work you way up to it...

  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I was referring to a tested maxHR, not a 220-anything HR as these are invalid (which is why I mentioned it), as I understand it maxHR is still maxHR..it may decline in untrained individuals which is where most of the statistics come from..general population, not athletes. After all just a few years ago I would have been expected to be heading towards pipe & slippers, not carbon & malt loaf..so I still contend amongst this population (on here..athletes)that maxHr (tested) will still be maxHR with little drop off due to age, but other factors may show a change, albeit temporary.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Good point Britspin.

    There's an interesting bit in the Triathlete's Training Bible where it talks about how it wasn't so long ago when anyone over 40 was advised to start taking life easy due to their age!
  • thanks to all so far v. interesting..

    it may be a number of factors as mentioned by most, tiredness, not enough soreen ect...

    i tend to train within zones so i dont push myself too hard ( a problem of mine ) so what i'd like to know is shall i keep my existing max h.r. or replace it with my new one as this will change which zone im in?
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Keep it the same.

    I started off a 220-Age. Then, as each time I hit new highs, I put it up. Never bothered to lower it.

    What is you Perceived Effort (RPE) telling you?
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    But 220-age fits I believe 5% of the population..the other 95% (who train) are in the wrong zones & potentially not making best use of their training time.
  • [quote]What is you Perceived Effort (RPE) telling you?

    well my h.monitor was telling me i was going a little over adverage ( training effort 3.3 out of 5 ) but i was blitzing it running at 15kmh and an incline, however this means if my max h.r. is to high then this would make sense and ive been over training for a while instead of improving base training...
  • i got that quote thing quite wrong i think, still a pc novice...
Sign In or Register to comment.