Home Chat General Chat

High Heart Rate

I'm reasonably fit and healthy - at least I think I am! Olympic tri sub 2:30 and now training for longer distances, so as suggested by many I got myself a HRM. I've always had a high heart rate so it came as no surprise to find my resting HR was about 65-70 bpm.

I went on a 25km run with a training buddy and we posted just under 2hrs at a fairly steady pace. When we compared our stats (the sad things us tri guys get up to!), my avergae HR was 165 compared to 145 for my mate. Turns out I spent 95% of the run in zone 4 & 5. For a 45min 10km average HR is 176 all in zone 5 after first 5 mins.

Is having a high HR bad for me? And if so should I reduce my pace to keep in target HR zone? - Any thoughts?

Maybe I've just got a high HR and accept it and change my training zones to suit.

Comments

• NobzNobz Posts: 22
    al_ford wrote:

I'm reasonably fit and healthy - at least I think I am! Olympic tri sub 2:30 and now training for longer distances, so as suggested by many I got myself a HRM. I've always had a high heart rate so it came as no surprise to find my resting HR was about 65-70 bpm.

I went on a 25km run with a training buddy and we posted just under 2hrs at a fairly steady pace. When we compared our stats (the sad things us tri guys get up to!), my avergae HR was 165 compared to 145 for my mate. Turns out I spent 95% of the run in zone 4 & 5. For a 45min 10km average HR is 176 all in zone 5 after first 5 mins.

Is having a high HR bad for me? And if so should I reduce my pace to keep in target HR zone? - Any thoughts?

Maybe I've just got a high HR and accept it and change my training zones to suit.

I'll try to comment on this since I've just got myself a HRM.

First thing I would say is that the zones are worked out as percentages of your maximum so unless you done a max heart rate test for running (there are a few threads on here showing how) then the HRM will be using an assumption to work out your max, usually the 220-age calculation which can be a good way out.

For example using this method my max HR would be 193 when it's actually 210 for running and swimming, and 195 for cycling so you can see the one rule doesn't fit all.

You'll find if your max is higher then the bands will shift as well. I'd say it's worth keeping in mind your preceived effort as well - I think if you did a 2hr run in mainly zone 5 you'd certain 'perceive' it!!

Resting HR is about what they'd class as 'average' I think 50-70 so nothing to worry about. The best gauge of fitness in my opinion is the range min-max and the speed at which it recovers.

• al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    Thanks - max HR test is now planned for tomorrow!
    Have fun with that, just try not to throw up and at the end - I know that was the biggest challenge for me!! [:'(]
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Can max heart rate really be dependant on the type of excercise? In assumed it would be an absolute?

(A HRM is on my Christmas list so I'm curious).
    Jules wrote:

Can max heart rate really be dependant on the type of excercise? In assumed it would be an absolute?

(A HRM is on my Christmas list so I'm curious).

That's what I thought as well but I think it's more like the ability to reach your absolute max with certain types of exercise. I know from my own experience I consistently get a higher 'max' with running than cycling. It may simply be down to muscles giving out before cardio though.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Every activity will have a different 'max HR', different muscles doing different work err differently. Clearly running, vertical, self supported body, gravity pulling you down, trying to move horizontally efficiently & fast, will have a different max to swimming horizontal, less gravity, but more fluid resistance, using arms (primarily)to move forward, will differ to cycling vertical,supported by frame, higher speed more wind resistance, friction from road etc, they will all be within a few beats of each other, but different & as mentioned when doing a max test those 'few' beats are the most painful!
  • DaveCDaveC Posts: 15
    Wouldn't worry about it as I have same issue. Resting pulse at work sat in front of PC is 43-45 ish. I'm age 46 and hit a max HR of 178 during games of squash. Even a gentle run takes it to 150+ but I would consider myself fit . Visited the doc about it when I started training and his feedback was we are all different and the main indicator was how quickly it came down.

You're not alone!

Dave C
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    scores on the doors...

cycling max HR = 187 bpm

running max HR = 195 bpm

no puking or passing out so there must be a few bpms to go then.

Thankfully HR comes down pretty quickly so I'll just keep monitoring it and see how it goes. Seems like there's no cause for alarm.

Thanks guys & gals. Feel better now.