Home Chat General Chat

STOP!

My cheap commuting/first road bike had tektro brakes and i thought they did the job fine, but when I got my racing bike with SRAM red, its like going to hydraulic brakes! it does make a big noticeable differece, so might be worth upgrading, though I would upgrade other parts first, wheels, rear mech, shifters...

As for the dust, check that the pads are aligned properly and you don't have any metal/metal contacts. When braking, the rims will wear down, but it shouldnt be noticable (unless anyone corrects me!), I've certainly never seen it on any bikes.

Comments

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I went from some Tektros on my old bike to Ultegra on the new one. Dunno if it is the pads, the wheels, the design or whatever, but I am dangerously close to face-planting everytime I use the front brake and I have to be careful not to lock the rear. Brilliant one finger braking performance.

Ally dust on the rims? Are the pads the right material? Or maybe you've just been getting a load of road salt on your wheels in all the crappy weather - that would cause oxidisation which on ally appears as a fine white dust.

*EDIT* I forgot to add that brakes are for wimps and losers.
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    I've just bought the Quintana roo Kilo and it has the old basic brakes tektro or something. They work fine - stop well and everything is great -

so are the ultegra or 105 better? if so how? if it's just a case of being lighter then it won't bother me too much, but if they're a better at stopping you then I might consider an upgrade.....

Oh one more thing...is aluminium dust normal with brand new wheels and brakes - I notices my front caliper has worn/broken down some of the wheel..... there is fine ali dust all over it?

thanks for any help.