Home Chat General Chat

Race Logistics/Public Transport

Hi all.

I don't own a car and I want to do tri's. How feasible is it to transport gear by public transport?

Comments

• Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    I've got a similar problem. Thought long and hard about it, and I came to the conclusion that I'd have to borrow a car for the day - there's just too much kit when you include the bike, and navigating public transport is only going to add to the nervous tension and stress levels. Plus, you have to be at the race quite early for most events, and there aren't as many public transport options first thing. Dunno if anyone else has any suggestions though...?
  • AndreAndre Posts: 103
    I don't drive - nor do I want too, really - so this has always been a bit of an issue for me; the long and the short of it is, for most events I have to travel up the night before [and sometimes again for another night after] and stay in a hotel.

I try to stay as close to the event venue as possible, that way I'm able to cycle to it in the morning, but otherwise I make sure I'm at most a taxi ride away. The only time it ever gets difficult, is when something goes wrong with public transport - unfortunately, here in the UK that seems to happen quite a lot.

I'm currently racing at 15 events this year, although 5 of those are overseas, so it's definitely possible, but it's not exactly cheap.
  • teamspiritteamspirit Posts: 148
    i don't drive either and like Andre i don't want 2. I've been thinking about it alot and if i can't get a lift to an event i will have 2 travel by public transport. I haven't tried it yet but bet it's a nightmere.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I'm in the same position, and i have had to think very carefully about which events I can enter, some i have chosen as they are near friends family i can stay with/get a lift rom, others because I know that they are only a short train ride away. I don't know how well this will work in practise but I also have the gf coming along as another pair of ha...i mean for support
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    i live in london and travel by public transport to events...whilst its a bit of a pain (as the transport links dictate the events)...i haven't found it too bad...

did a tri on monday and got the first train to hampton 5.21....one good thing about this is that you don't see too many people (except those blurry eyed from the night before) and there's room for your bike and kit....

i also seem to be able to carry everything i need into a backpack and use this instead of a box...

there is always worry that there will be works on the line, the train won't turn up etc etc but thought if this happened i'd probably catch a cab and that would prob work out the same cost as a hotel and car hire....

mind you, if i found out others were doing the same event as me...i'd see if i could grab a lift (if more than one bike would fit in the persons car)
  • Thanks a lot for your responses guys, I feel a lot more positive now. I had considered just giving up the whole thought of doing tri's, but now I'm even more enthused than I was - thanks![:D]