Home Chat General Chat

My poor behind !

I should have expected it really, but my god, my poor butt! First ride out on new (and first ever) road bike yesterday, did a 20k ride and enjoyed every minute. A few observations....

1. I felt every tiny little bump.....no, not bump, stone chipping!

2. You never really appreciate how hard the up-hills are going to be until your on them!

3. Your bum is going to hurt.

4. The speed you can get up to is actually scary when your new.

5. I still have little idea as to whether my bike setup is right for me or not.

So guys and girls, can you add anything to this?

Will my bum get used to this kind of punishment or will it hurt for ever?

How do i really know if the bike setup is right?

A massive plus is the fact that i never fell off the bike when coming to a stop (due to the clipless pedals). [:D]

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Big well done on the not falling with clippies on. On the other points your bum gets used to..but do invest in some well made shorts..assos is the rolls royce, you can get good deals, Parker international are good as are of course wiggle. bike set up, unless professionally done hard to say, but if you can go fast & long with little pain from low back then you may be OK. Where are you based BTW?
  • Thanks for the info Britspin, i'll get some shorts quickly! On that point, do trisuits tend to have padding? My back was fine after that 45min ride so i'll have to see how i get on.

I live in Telford, Shropshire. Are you close?
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    Hi Gary,

Glad you enjoyed your first ride!

I went back to my Hybrid because of the icey roads, and it was SOOOoooooo Slow! lol so you def get used to the speed. - I did the Exmoor beast last year and topped at 48 MPh, and afterward I thought sh*t what if i fell off, but It feels totally 'safe!' so you don't really worry?? oh and 100 miles and my butt was fine - so yep you do get used to it.

What back injury do you have because I find I got back pain after 8 mile or if I really pushed it....Since found out it all stems from a hamstring injury! I knew I should have gone to Physio and not ignored it! - live and learn....

Good look for the rest of the year.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I would say its definately the bike set up. When I first started last year I never had a problem with 10 or 15 mile rides but come winter I was cycling harder and begining to feel it :S ... I bought some cycle shorts from halfords ... yes I know ... needed some for the 40 mile ride I did the other week .. and would reccomend you buy some proper cycle shorts it does help - but bike set up is a must.

I have suffered from bad backs for years and last year had 6 month spell of Sciatica, was very painful, this is one reason I decided to start exercising - luckily for me the exercise works and the pain has gone away ... it only comes back after a few days of non exercise - have had physio and will be going back again to make sure all is ok.

• hey there,

bike set up is one of the most important things you can have done the vast majority of riders that set there own up have done so through trail and error, this takes time and can be painfull and damaging. To have it done proffessionally takes around 1 hour and not only will it only require very minor tweeking as you get used to it (1mm here 1mm there ect) over time but will enable you to generate alot more power in your peddling. i had mine done at j.t. cycles in ely and the he never even charged me a penny for it, he put me on his turbo trainer and did everything from the bars right down to the cleats, but its the seat most people get wrong.. mine was about 4 inches too low, apperently a very common problem.

I hope this has convinced you to get yours checked.

Good luck this season

terry
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I can't believe you did that with no padded shorts!

Get some decent shorts; at least two pairs. If you're new to all this: shorts are worn right next to the skin - it is very important to avoid any wrinkles etc. which will become friction points which will soon turn to sores. If you are spending a lot of time in the saddle, hygiene is also important - fresh shorts for each ride, showers etc. (there's a danger of in-growing hairs, blocked follicules etc. etc). Sounds grim, but a nasty big boil etc. is not what you want!

The tenderness will pass and you will get used to it - if you don't then you might want to consider your saddle/riding position etc. A decent riding position is key to avoiding injuries on the bike! Your riding position for training may not be quite the same when you are doing a TT, especially if the race is all on the flat. To start with, as you develop all those muscles that you never knew you had, comfort is more important than a low drag coefficient!
    Hi gary. Trisuits have a small pad, so you get some comfort but no chafing in the nethers on the run as you would get with a full pad fitted in cycling shorts..altho I do quite often run in cycle shorts..but that brick type sessions & not after a swim. I am in Birmingham, not too far.
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Don't forget to complement your new shorts with some assos cream for your poorly bum. You put it on before you leave, straight on your, er, self, and it reduces friction a bit and therefore discomfort. You won't be using it in races but it would help you in training.

Good luck getting back on your bike this week! I used to take paracetamol with me on long rides, until I found a good shorts/saddle combo. Be warned, by the way, that it might take a while for you to find a saddle and pair of shorts that suit you. It's an inexact science!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Gary

What doesnt kill you can only make you stronger!!!!LOL

Good job on the not falling off, the bum situation is like an Initiation to Tri life.!!!

and again with the weird thing thread

'the bum situation is like an Initiation to Tri life.!!! '

Where else can you get this stuff...or do I not want to know!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I am sure the bum would have been red at the point of getting off the bike so it must be TRI and made you quicker! Maybe a carbon seat?????? LOL