Home Chat General Chat

Nike + ......anyone use it?

Just got a new pair of trainers today (although the old one's were far from old or worn out.......but legs force change).

Anyway, they are nike and i was wondering about this nike + thing.......it connects to your ipod and tells you stuff like pace and distance (i think).

Can anyone tell me exactly what it does, how it does it and if its any good?

Thanks

G-man

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Comments

• clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Never been able to get mine working mate!
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    i've used it and its basically a pedometer.....it works very well, i needed to calibrate mine for stride length but not everybody has this problem...it works very well and if you already have an ipod, is a great training aid.

my ipod got broken and rather thn buying a new one (i use a sony phone for music) i bought a garmin gps watch...which i think is more user friendly and very accurate...but if you already have the ipod the nike+ is a good cheap way of doing it.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    My brother in laws is a pretty decent 10k runner... sub 29 min and he got fed up with trying to get it to work.

So, the one person I know who's got one doesn't rate it.

That said he may be unlucky and have a faulty unit.

• spr1983spr1983 Posts: 34
    i have one, just got back from a run using it. i have the one where it doesnt link to your ipod. its a tablet in your shoe, and then a wristband (watch). tells you average pace, distance, time and calories burned.

i enjoy using it as you get to upload the run details online and see how your training is going.

you can get one that links to your ipod, heard there just as good.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Another gadget to distract me from training,reasonable cost and efficient,but occassionally inaccurate depending on my pace.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Poor man's GPS [:)]
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Poor man's GPS

That'll suit me perfectly then
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Apparently the new Garmin footpod is the same size as the Nike + will fit in the recess, maybe useful for anyone with a forerunner 50/60/405.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    I've had the very basic Garmin Forerunner 101 for donkeys now - and it's fine for what I need. It's a little bit bulky, but it does everything I need it to. Pace, distance, route map. It stores all your runs to chart your progress. It doesn't have cadence, but counting your own gives you something to do while you're running!

• dcdc Posts: 10
    i've used this although I dont have Nike trainers, you can get round it by tying the sensor to your laces, this worked brilliantly with proper laces but since changed to lock laces it doesnt work nearly as well (if at all). I'm sure this is because the sensor is now not tight enough so doesnt register ever stride but would imagine that used in the proper shoes there would be no problems.

As noted above GPS devices are much better but as i'm skint and already had the ipod £20 seemed like a reasonable investment.

I'd say go for it.
  • tummymustgotummymustgo Posts: 43
    I have had one for about 2 months and i have found it fantastic , very easy to use , set up and connect, typical apple great piece of kit. Its useful for me beacuse I am starting my training and hate running, I find it hard slow so for me anything that helps the training is a postive. My wife who runns had a garmin which I thought would be a far better product but it was harder to set up , download detail , calibrate etc. Nike + set up on my laces on a pair of brookes, connected to an old nano bang all working. I am sure a decent Garmin GPS system would be better but this is really working for me, nike plus web site showing the reporting would be a great place to start to see if you need or would want those options available when connected.

Also quite liked the fact that after my longest run when they read the stats out to you , another voice says, "HI its lance armstrong here well done on your longest run keep it up "

good luck to all who are running or training this week