Home Chat General Chat

Back to business....

Hi

I am looking to book myself on my first OD triathlon in July/August. Simple question is which one would you recommend (that isn't fully booked), and what is regarded as respectable times? As i don't have a PB I need to know what to aim for???

Thanks

Comments

• Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Plenty of charity places left for London. Sure a man of your calibre and considerable following wouldn't have too much trouble raising 500 notes for a good cause. I'll make sure you don't get lost [:D]
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    I'm just been looking at Blithfield Olympic in Staffordshire. Has anyone got experience of this event?

http://www.punishingevents.com/blithfield_olympic_triathlon.htm

Ta very much
  • j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    Make the leap to HIM Gary, sign up for Monaco 70.3 we can have a laugh over there! It will be the ideal training for the 220 forum event a couple of weeks later
    shit hot at sighting

oh great!

Will day two cover what i need?
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Conehead wrote:

you'll be on the podium at an ITU world cup race after Day 2!

Or your money back!
  • teamspiritteamspirit Posts: 148
    when is London and is there a minimum u have 2 raise 4 a charity place.
    1st of August for SuperSprint and Sprint, and 2nd for OD. Most charities ask for £500, but they vary. I think that Get Kids Going will take you with any amount raised. There's probably more.

http://www.thelondontriathlon.co.uk/LTcharity.html

Shall i do it then.....the London OD?

• clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Gaz i did london last year and promised myself never again! I thought it would be great going round the famous sites, but was put on the second course around lonndons beautiful industrial estates, the swim was horrendous, over 400 people in the wave and i was still fighting at the end of it!

The run around the doc was nice with a few suppoters.

Its a race im glad i did but would never do it again, its marketed at the beginner but is purely aimed at numbers!
  • scott_burrowsscott_burrows Posts: 381
    Come On Gary.. DO IT!!!

Will you beat me over the longer distance???

I'm doing London so we'd be in the same wave...

Scotty

• gomiboygomiboy Posts: 59
    London's fun - it's a real carnival atmosphere with lots of fun and being able to ride through London at pace on a closed road is wicked cool.The swim is a bit manky - it's in Embankment dock, near the Excel centre. Even though the organisers always promise it's clean, I always want to take a looooong hoooooot shower after the race.

Overall a very fun race in my experience.
    I'd be in the same wave too. Bit of friendly rivalry? [:D]

Do it.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Do it Gary you know you wanna!

I'll be doing the sprint on Saturday (that's if I'm not put off for life after Eton!) but will be back cheering everyone on for Sunday!

• just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    I am doing London OD ... now I am less excited after reading Clarkey's review! Any suggestions/tactics for a crap swimmer (apart from don't drown when you get kicked in the head!)?!
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    I'm doing London as well. Come on you know it makes sense....

My tactics for the swim are to keep well out of the way and then beat everyone on the run.....

.. apart from I can't run much at teh moment.. Hmm plan B....
    My plan is just to resist the urge to go on the starting gun, wait a few seconds and hopefully avoid the worst of the chaos.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    I'll be at London too. The new plan is to make for the front, so when the gun goes off, I have to swim like the clappers to avoid getting drowned. Still working on the details, like learnng to swim like the clappers..
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    I can cheer you all on - hopefully I'll be working there either at the finish line or transition...!! Go for it... I thoroughly enjoyed watching everyone compete last year with my wine in hand outside the pub! [:)]
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    guys,

I'm doing London as well, provided I get the all clear with my back.
  • teamspiritteamspirit Posts: 148
    are there any normal places left 4 London don't think i could raise £500 lol
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    London is definatly crowded, however for a first Olympic it is a good one.

The nerves are slightened by the crown usher getting everybody giggling before jumping in the water, followed by a few Oggy Oggy Oi Ois. He then asks how many people is this a first time for. Most people put there hands up.

My first year of London I swam at the back then made my way through the crowd. Good way to go unless you are confident. Not to scare you, but the second time round I started with the leaders. Now I have played rugby for about 15 years, and I got more injuries, scratches etc from doing that than any injury in rugby. But it was fun.

I have done both routes on the bike, and both are good. It is quite harsh if there is a head wind on the Houses of Parliament route, but even that isn't that bad. One good thing to look out for is on the way back you go through a long tunnel. Get the speed going in there as it is down hill, and quite exciting as everything goes buzzing by.

The run is good also. Crowds getting you going on the initial 1km, dancers, music etc. But then after that it goes into your own time. Where it is just you, lots of other runners struggling, enjoying a nice flat and quiet bit of run. If like me save your speed for the crowds ;)

There are elitists all over the place, celebrities in the plentiful, good stalls.

All in all a very good race.

I am not doing it this year as I have now done London twice, and just fancied something else.

(Cambridge OD Tri)

Good luck with it though.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i've signed up for city of bath OD in late july, mainly because it is a pool swim and i've not got a wetsuit, but living 15miles from bath is also a factor.

no idea what sort of time would be any good but i'm hoping to limp home under 3h, anything significantly under that would amaze me. it'll be my first OD and i suspect i shall make all manner of mistakes. i just hope that i don't make a total fool of myself!
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    sorry mate not my intention, my first tri was windsor which is well run so maybe im being overly critical!

my advice would be dont let yourself get sucked into the middle before the start, you wait for a while at the line at need to be sure you dont drift in to the mixer.

stay wide abd back and pick people off you'll be fine
  • starcherstarcher Posts: 126
    Hi Gaz

In August i'd do the South Coast classic in seaford a lovely Sea swim with a nice into the current home stretch, closed road cycle and a lovely run along the Prom last year I bought an Icecream during the run cos it was soooooo hot very civilised and not to busy down there.

www.fun2tri.co.uk I think...

Mat

P.s not a london fan either mate very very hectic

thanks for all the info chaps, to be honest i'm no further forward! And to complicate matters further i've just got back from a swim session feeling like i couldn't swim 1500 meters if my life depended on it (and in london it probably would).

[>:]
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Come down here with Gman33 and me, Plymouth Oly. looks to be nice and friendly...July 12th you know it makes sense, GRman.....doitdoitdoit...
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    London Triathlon is over-rated, the bike route is pants. Woopeedoo cycling through London with no traffic. Save your money and do Windsor its TONNES better.

Fair enough London is a HYYYOOOOOOOGE event and is most peoples first, but there are much more interesting places to do an OD triathlon.

That said if you want a PB London is a fast (short!!*) course.

*bike is 39km and run is 9.somthing km