Home Chat General Chat

gel flask belt question and thoughts

Please forgive my complete ignorance for this question! I am considering getting a gel flask belt to use in an ironman. In the flasks, do you squeze the gels into them, or put the gels in in their pack, and pull out when you want?!? I feel dumb asking, but have never known!

Is the main benefit percieved that you can then take on your preffered gel types, as opposed to what is passed out at the aid stations? or are there other benefits also?

Last time i just took on the gels etc at the aid stataion, and was considering this as another option if beneficial.

any thoughts would be great

Comments

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    A lot of people put gels into flasks or bottles for IM to make them easier to take.

I think most gel belts have loops for you to slip them in.

The benefit of taking your own is you are used to the brand.

May want to add a link to the belt you're after for people to look at?

G
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    THATS A GOOD QUESTION MATE !!

Having never experianced it myself i could only speculate but, arnt the gel's exactly mesured to give you the right balance of the things in them.

If you put them in one container wont it mess up the amount you get, i.e not enough or god forbid too much.

I watched an ironman dvd back along and one of the pro's tapped the gel s all over her handlebars and frame they were bloody everywhere, when she wanted one she just grabbed one.

I'm intrigued to know the correct proceduere, but as with most things its going to be down to what your comfy with.
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    i was mainly thinking for the run, as opposed to the bike.

this is one of the styles i am thinking

http://www.profile-design.com/fuelbelt/hydration-belts/helium-4/

i agree with your comment re amounts of carbs etc.. that you would be taking in!

i am not sure i am convinced by them if you can stomach what is handed out at the aid stations... but they i think why do the pro's use them? is it that they have their own nutrition regime presuambly?
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    conehead to the rescue again!!

thanks for your thoughts. think will stick to the aid stations.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Gels to a flask would probably save you trying to open them on the bike?

SIS should be drinkable from a flask.

G