Home Chat General Chat

Gym v Outdoor Training

Hiya

as a runner in a club, I very rarely run on a treadmill - cant stand them, even if its raining I will run outdoors. But thats personal preference, however its totally different.

Now as a new person to Tri I wanted to get out on my bike from day 1, but early dark nights meant I couldnt- no safe really.

So I started Spin classes in a gym alongside gym bikes too and now the nights are lighter I am cycling outdoors now.

Think its what you prefer BUT remember you will be outdoors eventually and its best to train in the environment you will be racing in ie:

roads

hills and flat

weather!

I wont be going back to cycling in the gym now til winter again when its dark at 4pm! ( unless I trash my bike in the meantime and need a back up!)

Comments

• SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    I was wondering how much training people do in a gym / on a turbo rather than outdoors. When I went from treadmill to outdoor running I found it a huge difference in difficulty. It looks like I'm going to be doing a fair amount of training on a stationary bike over the next few months and wouldn't want the same thing to happen.

Cheers.
  • Running on a treadmill is like punching a punch bag. When the big day comes neither will serve you well
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    Hey Meakie,

Thanks for that. Yeah I much prefer outdoor running now, it's been a year or so since I've been on a treadmill. Prefer cycling outdoor too but it's looking like I may be bike-less for a few more months. Time to beg or borrow a bike I think and make the most of the evenings. Did the spinning at least give you a bit of a base to work from?

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Treadmills can be quite useful for learning pacing and for threshold sessions. I have to say though, now the sun is out and the evenings are lighter, you won't be seeing me on one for while.
  • meakiemeakie Posts: 124
    Hey Swizzle

the spin classes helped my legs to realise how hard cycling can be cos I am not a cyclist and aint been out on my bike for ages, and with doing squats etc in the class and high resistance work it strengthened my legs quite well, I did the classes twice a week and really pushed myself.

I would recommend them if you want to do them alongside your other training ( eg whilst you are sorting a bike out). be prepared for the class to just be full of people who wanna chat tho and gossip whilst doing it - annoyed the pants off me to be honest - but I just got my head down and got on with it cos I knew I had a goal- the tri!

I think the classes deffo give you a good base.

• pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    for the first time this winter I have done my running training indoors and bike a mixture and I have ended up with a real knot in my calf due to running on a tread mill. I have run since then outside and been fine still sore from the treadmill

so my advice where posiable keep to the real stuff rather than the fake machines
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I love the folk who come to me & tell me the gym needs air con.

So, on this warm/sunny day you thought I know I'll put me old t shirt & last years holiday showyerbumshorts on, go into a room with a bunch of other folks in, get on a moving belt & try to keep up and then be surprised when you get hot, then tell me I need to keep the room cooler. Outside anyone? you know it makes sense.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    meakie wrote:

Hey Swizzle

the spin classes helped my legs to realise how hard cycling can be cos I am not a cyclist and aint been out on my bike for ages, and with doing squats etc in the class and high resistance work it strengthened my legs quite well, I did the classes twice a week and really pushed myself.

I would recommend them if you want to do them alongside your other training ( eg whilst you are sorting a bike out). be prepared for the class to just be full of people who wanna chat tho and gossip whilst doing it - annoyed the pants off me to be honest - but I just got my head down and got on with it cos I knew I had a goal- the tri!

I think the classes deffo give you a good base.

Anyone who has the breath to chat in a spin class really shouldn't be there...!?
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    have never been to a proper Gym in my life - and don't expect I ever will ;) .. all my training is done IMO where it should be ... running outside, cycling outside and swimming either in a pool or outside in OW. I have a few pieces of Gym equipment I use at home but at the moment I rarely do. I have never understood why people go to a Gym to cycle or Run :S ...

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Gym and turbo are good but not as good as the real thing
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Outdoors, Outdorrs, outdoors.

The gym drives me in saine. I cant stand running on a treadmill looking at myself in a mirror. i also hate the attitude you get from the meat heads and people who love themselves.

i do it all outside all year around. That is exept swimming.
  • i use the threadmill for every second run, as soon as the mileage starts racking up.

great active recovery.

not every one who strength trains is a meat head, b.t.w.