Home Chat General Chat

How did that happen?

Get it checked out professionally and take their advice on whether you race on Sunday.

Its still early in the race season... One missed race and a proper recovery might make all the difference for the rest of the year. Race Sunday and make it worse... you could be out long term.

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Get to the DOCS ASAP!" As Dave said its still early and sometimes things get better quickly with tablets and rest!

Hope it heals soon.
  • So here it is - my first injury of the season, but how did it happen?

I woke up this morning with a sore, swollen achilles which has made walking unpleasant and cycling impossible. But I'm confused because I haven't been running since Sunday and I'm also a little concerned because I'm racing this coming Sunday - what are my chances of recovering in time?

• iangriffiangriff Posts: 48
    Best advice i can give is if it's doesn't feel good don't risk it.

My Achilles was iffy before a race and i raced, result 9 months of achilles nightmare and still isn't 100%

Over the past year i've had ultrasound interferential treatment all was not much cop but cost £100's.

Visited a good sports physio at Bath Uni who recommended the following and so far has produced best results.

1. Ibuprofen Gel massage into the area could help reduce inflamation.

2 Massage with ice. freeze some water in a yoghurt cartoon remove ice block when ready and gently massage over achilles 5-10 mins, try and repeat a couple of times in the day.

3. If it causes no pain stretch calves and hamstrings.

4. calve stretch and calve raise in a slow teady movement. check out this web page about eccentric training details are about half way down.

If possible though i would recommend visiting a sports physio rather than your doc/gp.

All the best.