Home Chat General Chat

Racing with an HRM

Any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated.

I understand that racing with an HRM can be useful especially in longer races but can anyone help with the practical side of wearing/using one?

If you have it on your wrist at the start (ie before the swim), its not very useful there when you're on the bike (especially if you are also using it for speed, distance etc its much better mounted on the bars). It would take time to mount it on your bars during T1 so if instead you started with it there (ie did not have it on your wrist when you swim when it is of no use anyway) you'd have to remove it and put it on your wrist in T2 to use it for the run, even if by then you are just using it as a stopwatch.

Does that make sense?

Comments

• EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    unless you are going long i really wouldn't bother with a HRM. i think they are more trouble than they are worth.
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    The Garmin Forerunner 305 is a multi sport HRM - and I don't bother with it on the swim - I put it on fro the bike, Just on my wrist, It might take and extra 14 seconds, but it lets you know how to pace yourself. When you get on your bike I have to stop myself from really going from it - So the HRM does this.

I will always use one - no matter the distance - and the Garmin tells you how far you've gone - Handy!