Home Chat General Chat

How fast is fast?

Hey peoples, Im doing the weymouth sprint tri tommorrow for a little bit of race pace training. Just wondering how fast i should be doing really, Obviously i can only go at my own pace but what do you guys think would be a good time.This is the bike course elevation;

[image]local://3017/A8D0BED51D7A4FADAEF4D6AC7BF18E06.jpg[/image]

Comments

• CPT333CPT333 Posts: 56
    Thanks for that conehead.One point I will add is the fact that I am doing IMUK 70.3 next sunday so figured i might need to hold back a little bit.Whats the thoughts on this?
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    given that it is a sprint, and if you are in a taper, i think it would act a good pick up session
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I believ conehead has just become guruconehead. He has just made a perfound statement! Take that on board and race your ass off!
  • MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    Conehead wrote:

do each leg with no regard for what follows, swim like you don't have to bike, bike like you don't have to run etc.  Sprint - literally.

I am loving this advice as I've agonised for months over what to do in my first sprint tri. Are you serious? I ran my first 10K race of the season on Weds and forgot how much hurt that pace can cause! At 7k I thought "I'm in maximum hurt - what if I'd swam and biked before this?'. I will certainly follow this mantra but would love to hear from fellow first timers what they experienced.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I think the wind will make more difference than the terrain.

It seems pretty neutral other than the climb at mile 2-3 (250 ft) and, then coming down it.

That climb will probably take 1.5 - 1.8 times as long as the other, flat, miles.

Just keep that cadence up, get the Heart Rate above LT, and push the big gears. You want to be on the big chain ring for the whole thing. Assuming it's not a compact, you *might* want to go down on the climb. But you probably only need about 3 or 4 gears for the whole thing (the wind will be the decider - could change the whole plan!)

The descent at the end gives you the chance to make sure your cadence is up to 90+ RPM to get a good pick up in the run.

Let us know how you get on, and good luck!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Sprint distance just go for it - let your training take over