Home Chat General Chat

if i loose 5kg - how much faster will i go?

Hi,

was just wondering.....

i'm losing a bit of weight at the moment - does anyone know how much quicker you go on a bike if you loose a kg / 5kg?

Cheers,

Will.

Comments

• Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278

Before i answer that question here are some for you ?

Whats your 20 km time now ?

How much do you weigh ?

How tall are you ?

Whats your mhr ?

What bike are you riding ?

What do you eat before you go out for a ride ?

What time do you want to ride 20km in ?

What colour is your saddle ?

How much water do you drink in a day ?

• Jelly you forgot an important one.

Do you prefare regular cola or diet cola?

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Quicker. Just quicker, alright?! lol
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Quicker. Just quicker, alright?! lol

fair enough.

Perhaps i should actually get on with some work!

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    Work!??!?!?!? Isn't that a banned concept on here - how do i report this to the moderators????? lol

Productivity has definitely taken a downturn since i discovered the forum!! [:D]
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Depends on the course. You should notice the weight loss if they send you up hills.

On the flat it seems to be all about the power. I'm always getting passed by 'bigger' blokes.

Now running on the other hand - as Treefrog says 'skinnier = faster'.
    I was actually being a little serious, there are so many other componants to becomeing faster/stronger on a bike.

I would swap your 5kg in fat( or the 5kg you want to lose)

for

5kg in muscle.

However as muscle weighs more than fat, you might lose 5 kg or at least turn it to muscle and you would never know.

The point being, forget losing weight, go ride 20km ( a standard distance for a sprint tri), and time yourself , do it race pace, then every few months time yourself again, if you faster your getting better.

There is no substitute for for training hard.
  • Except steroids.
    There is no substitute for for training hard.

Cheers.

Conehead suggested hammering a 10mile TT - i'm off to try and kill myself on Sat...
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    For running, it seems like 2-3 seconds/mile/pound you lose, which really makes a big difference when you lose 5kg
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    We have not yet introduced the potential into kinetic energy argument with regard to the downhill aspect.Most feed stations on long courses are at the top of the climbs so load up on bottles and supplies and see your speed become that of coneheads light speed without the use of naked black carbon.
    Not wanting to get into a massive debate about it but

Thats absolute rubbish

If a 6.2 inch man who weighs 500lbs were to lose 1 lb and by your therory he would save 2-3 seconds per mile.

What if a 4.0 ft man who weighs 100 lbs were to lose 1lb would he also save 2-3 seconds per mile.

Logic says my friend of course not.

There are hundreds of things that affect both cycling and running, before you even get to the how to save time etc.

Running or cycling technique for one

Equipment used for two

level of overall fitness, three.

The weather, four

How much training has gone before, five

Diet, six

I could go on but i wont,

The only thing that is going to get you faster and quicker is more training, the weight loss is part of training.

If you look at almost all professional athletes doing any sport they eat like bloody race horses all the time, and this gives them the energy to train harder and for longer.

• GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Jelly legs wrote:

If you look at almost all professional athletes doing any sport they eat like bloody race horses all the time, and this gives them the energy to train harder and for longer.

Do race horses eat meat ? ... sorry couldn't resist ;)

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Does losing 5kg make you go faster?

Not sure, but if you look at this thread there's a picture oif a guy who could probably tell you: http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=33348
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    YES
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    YES to what? Eating meat, losing 5kgs or shitting yourself in public (as per link)? We demand to know?
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    had a time-passing thread about this a while ago:

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=26168

includes a gadgety-link in my first post to calculate some of this.

100% fool-proof &correct?? don't know.

Fun to do?? Yes siree
    nice one Benny - that's exactly what i'm after.

Can now use it as some form back up when getting a new bike past the missus!! [;)]