Home Chat General Chat

Why am I so rubbish at cycling?

2»

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    I love doing it so bugger to how good I am at the moment. I think there is too much emphasis on out and out speed when starting out in this new world.... I have tried to enjoy myself to begin with, then the passion takes hold and personal targets are there to be beaten and times broken.

hear hear
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    I did my 10.2 mile commute into work tonight ( on nights) in 31 mins and 16 seconds. ( bear in mind that I have at least a mile down a long hill so can so do 35mph so that affects my overall time) If it was flat - well I have no idea

Going home is a different story though ( after a 12 hours night shift) I take 45-50 mins to do the same journey ( granted the last 4 miles is a bit uphill).

I swim 450m in 11 mins ( how shit is that)

Run 5 km in 26 mins ( my fastest time yet)

Our times are very similar if you average out your to and from work cycle times. I run 5k currently in 27 mins and 10k in 55 mins so gradually getting used to holding the pace over the longer unfamiliar distance. Swim time possibly a little slower still than yours but I have only just taught myself to swim properly (at 47!) and put my face underwater and do front crawl, which was anthema to me before about three months ago!

Thanks for the support, we metaphorically race side by side!
  • Well done you... teaching yourself to swim in no mean feat. Maybe we can do a tri together (god knows I need the practice) and we can push each other round .

I don't worry about the bike leg - i enjoy that, am learning how to pace myself, when to get the hammer down, equally when to ease up and getting used to understanding what I'm going to be like when I get off the bike.

The rest is a little hit and miss at the moment :)

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    20mph consitstant speed over a 20 km race is almost impossible to achieve for us mere mortals, unless you have a sporting background, excellant level of fitness or are young enough to thrain those fact twitch fibres,any time for 20 km from 42 minutes to 50 minutes is damn good going.
    [quote]ORIGINAL: Jelly legs

I'm thinking about joining a road club this summer and they run regular evening 10m TT. Their website says that the 30minute barrier is the first mile stone that most riders aim to achieve. Granted not everyone can, but it's certainly not impossible...