Home Chat General Chat

First Sprint Tri Times

How long is a piece of string?

Are you just asking because of nerves?

Look at last years results for the same event.

Do you have times for training?

Are you an age grouper?

Have you raced in separate events?

Decide for yourself if you want to avoid coming last.. or about 50% of the way through the field, or whatever.

Work out what paces you have to do in the events... how does that compare with your training events.

Hope that helps!

Comments

• jordyaljordyal Posts: 18
    Evening all,

What would be considered a reasonable time to aim for in a 1st sprint tri?

I'm doing London in August, am reasonably fit(ish?) & am trying to work out realistic.

Distances are 750m swim, 20km cycle, 5km run.

Any ideas?

jordyal.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    last year times went from a gobsmaking just under hour to 2 hrs 40 mins - not saying where I'm heading for[:D] but see you there
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    I thought about asking the same question, but i think the differences in course, weather on the day (wind) and so on......so 'good' times are variable.

I will be doing my first sprint (first tri) in four weeks, 400/18/5, i have trained on the course (brick trained the bike and run) and its taking me 1 hour flat to complete. So i'm guessing add 10 for the swim and T1 and take off another 5 for the rush of the day and i'm aiming for 1:05.

That's my 5 penth worth.[8|]
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Do the swim in a pool (time it), do the distance on the bike (time it) and do a 5k run (and.....you've guessed it, time it) add the times together, add 6ish minutes for transistion and you'll have a (VERY) rough idea of how quick you'll be.

However..........this does not take into consideration,

1.flying elbows and escaped phsycos in the swim

2.nerves

3.navigation of open water (swimming off line)

4.losing your way in transition (trying to find your bike amongst 5000 others!!)

5.not practicing transition (therefore losing time)

6.not including brick (bike to run) training therefore having spaghetti legs for the run

6.fatigue (running 5k fresh is alot different to running 5k after swimming and cycling)

Train sensibly and you'll be fine, read books, ask questions.........

Good luck, londons a good venue, shame its so feckin expesive!!!!!!!!