Home Chat General Chat

What is the best UK 70.3?

My training this year is aimed for building up to complete a 70.3 next year (and then full IM the year after). I'd appreciate anyones thoughts on the best event in the UK-clearly alot of factors can count for "the best", but peoples general thoughts on events would be welcome.

Comments

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I have no experience, but Vitruvian has won race of the year in the 220 awards for the last two years running. I guess it's either brilliant, or the organisor went to uni with the editor...

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Useful thead this.

Finances will prevent me from doing a race abroad next year. I have Trentham and the Little Woody as possibles on my 2010 radar. Both may suit me for a first 1/2IM distance race as both are "easier" races, reasonably flat etc apparently. They are also both fairly near family, so we'd have the option of somewhere to stay or at least more people along to support me on the day, and we could make a long weekend of it.

LW is in the Forest of Dean and Trentham has Trentham Gardens and Monkey World so there should be stuff for the kids to do while they wait (and wait) for me to finish.

All of the above is subject to me successfully doing my OD races this year!
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    Little and Big Woody are the worst peace's of race organisation I have ever seen, I have also never experienced so many people complaining to the organiser's, ever. I was not competing but went to support some pals, and it was a truly awful experience for them.

I'm doing the Ironman 70.3 UK this weekend, will let you know how that goes, I'm also doing Germany 70.3 later this year, it turned out to be no more expensive than doing the UK 70.3, however, you can't leave anything to the last minute as it will cost you.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    I'll echo what Conehead says, try and get to do a (non-UK) European 70.3/HIM. The crowds at these events put UK races to shame and the organisation is second to none.

I'll be planning at least four overseas races for 2010 as the "all-in" costs arnt that much more than raceing in the UK.
    grant.smith wrote:

Little and Big Woody are the worst peace's of race organisation I have ever seen, I have also never experienced so many people complaining to the organiser's, ever. I was not competing but went to support some pals, and it was a truly awful experience for them.

I'm doing the Ironman 70.3 UK this weekend, will let you know how that goes, I'm also doing Germany 70.3 later this year, it turned out to be no more expensive than doing the UK 70.3, however, you can't leave anything to the last minute as it will cost you.

Grant, what went wrong with the Little and Big Woodys?
  • teamspiritteamspirit Posts: 148
    how much more expensive are 70.3 races?
    90 or 100 quid - for non 70.3 branded races. Proper IM 70.3 races are more I think.
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    Jules wrote:
    ORIGINAL: grant.smith

Grant, what went wrong with the Little and Big Woodys?

Badly organised from start to finish, not enough marshals, route not clearly marked, competitors just didn't know where they were supposed to be going, thus some ended up going a lap to far or a lap short.

Just awful...