Home Chat General Chat

THe biggest ripp-off ever (why are triathletes always taken advantage of)

I'm in exactly the same boat as you are mate... for one night is is like being robbed. All the places really local to the start are 3 night minimum that I saw. If you don't mind being ~20-30 miles away from the start you can sure do better, but I don't want to have to think about anything other than wake up, get dressed, eat and race on Sunday morning, so I'm being ripped off.

When they campsite has the only game in town right next to the transition area, they get to make all the rules. It sucks, but just put it up there with the entry fee as one of those sunken costs that doesn't make any sense.

Comments

• sam_thebatmansam_thebatman Posts: 112
    Ok,

So im doing the ironman 70.3 at Wimble lake and stupidly i havent sorted out accomodation. So i get in contact with wimble lake campsite (advertised on the 70.3 website), ansd they have spcaes available, so i think im sorted. Then comes the price... beacuse the ironman is one the campsite is charging 25 per person for 3 nights (sounds ok, still on the steep side). But i am only going for one night, as i cant get the time off work for the other days. So i therefore need a campspace for 1 night, for 1 tent which has 2 people in it. So doing the math that costs £50. £50 for one tent for one night is robbery. I just cant beleive it and cant believe the organisers advertise this campsite on the website knowing how inflecxible they are and what a rippoff they are, you would have thought they would have come to some arrangement together which benefits both the triathlete and the campsite.

So now have got to look for some other campsite in the area (anyone know of any by the way?) or a hotel...

I hate it when this sort of thing happens.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    You can only be ripped off if you let your self be!... just camp at the side of the road / in a park.

Just think of all the mugs who paid that price. The triathlete booked on the campsite have encouraged their own demise!! And your right IRONMAN shduol not advertise sites taking the piss like that
  • JoddyBearJoddyBear Posts: 66
    Sam,

a list i promised, so a couple of websites that may help i attach. I'll also put this on the half ironman thread. Let me know which site you end up booking, i'm supposed to be bunking down at whichever one my parents are leaving their caravan at but they've gone off to france without telling me so i might just book somewhere else anyway.

Jody

http://everythingexmoor.org.uk/page.php?id=160

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/townlisting.asp?town=Dulverton

• sam_thebatmansam_thebatman Posts: 112

Panic over, thanks for the help JoddyBear,

I am now booked in this campsite http://www.halsefarm.co.uk/ for £13 for 2 people.

I tried a few two other places (Exe Valley Caravan Site and Exmoor House Caravan Club Site), whione was full and the other didnt takle tents. But the guy at Exmoor House Caravan Club Site gave me some numbers of the nearest places which take tents,

Halsefarm- 01643851259

Beauchamp House- 01398341279

So that should help anyone who was in the same position as me.

• JoddyBearJoddyBear Posts: 66
    Schweet, glad to hear you got it worked out. I've gotta sort out with the bird'n'bairn later what we're going to do. We only live about 30 miles away but i don't relish getting up at 3.30-4 am in order to get up to the start with plenty of time to chill.

If we end up on that site too we might be able to join you for a couple of extra large vodkas on the eve of the race (well i need some sort of excuse for my performance)

I'll let you know later on.