Home Chat General Chat

open water swims

when i do my 1st tri in september it will be an open water swim do all u experts out there still put your face in the water even tho it's salt water.

Comments

• WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Absolutely. Take a good swig too...................essential sodium for later in the race! Why waste the free opportunity not to guzzle down loads!!! [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image]

On a more serious note, I'm not sure I've ever swam with my head out of the water constantly. My legs sit low enough in the water as it is without pushing them down further by admiring the salt sea view!

Would recommend your practice swimming in the sea to get used to it, and also the waves! Quite a sensation going for a breath only to have a wave fill your mouth with water........ it's quite off putting!!!
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    I di actually end up swallowing some of the sea water - which makes you really thirsty later on, well it does me!

Can make you wretch if if swallow too much. I'm going for an open water swim on sunday - really looking forwar to it, I've found a 1500m route!
  • pippip Posts: 170
    I`m doing an open water lake swim in Sept and not really looking forward to it,but i live near Salford Quays and there are open water swim sessions there so i might go and have a practice at drinking well dodgy water and see if i get any stomach bugs.Good job i`ve got a goood constitution
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Have a can of full fat coke after any open water swim session.... it kills all stomach bugs known to mankind....:)

Seriously I was told by one of the 'older guys' in our club to drink coke asap after an open water swim! I know people who drink Flat coke in T1 after an open water swim leg!!
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    we used to do that before white water kayaking! one guy used to have rum and coke just to make sure! i think it probably bloats you more than kills bugs! if anything all the sugar will help bugs, also the pH is not as low as your stomach acid so that removes the acid effect! Flat in T1 is probably good for the amount of sugar in there! sorry!