Home Chat General Chat

ZIPP 404/808

Just bought a new TT bike with ZIPP (808 & 404 clincher wheels) having been so used to road bikes I forgot to ask a few basic questions.. Do you require a special pump connection to pump up tyres ? long nozzle looks different and doesn't fit standard pump. Are there tubes ? if so what do you ask for when looking for spares ?

Any help would be appreciated.


  • Options
    stratoTomstratoTom Posts: 36
    Tyre valve is either Presta or Schraeder (car type). Most likely to be presta though, so you'll need a pump that fits this valve head. Clinchers do have tubes, and as to what to ask for... sort of depends what spares you're after?
  • Options
    treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    You get valve extensions, however most tube manufactuers now produce tubes with extra long valves.

    Keep us informed on how the wheels perform, I'm in the market for a new wheelset and Zipp are on my shopping list!
  • Options
    treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Oh and one other thing you will never get schraeder valved tubes for a deep section wheel. The valves cannot be depended to take the pressures required for race wheels
  • Options
    agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Assuming you have the zipp valve extensions, you just put them in a presta head and pump away. The valve is held inside the extension so no air can leak out. To let them down just shove a long small allen key or similar until you hear a hiss.

    Treefrog I have a 404/808 combo on my bike, but the tub version. They ride like a dream, and are noticeably quicker. Handling is fine with the 404 on the front and unless you are holding 40kph+ and heavy enough to take it, any deeper on the front will cause problems unless there is zero wind
Sign In or Register to comment.