Home Chat General Chat

HR monitor

I need to buy a new HR monitor, as I've lost the chest strap for my trusty Polar, which I bought back in the day when I was 'only' a runner. As a newcomer to tri, I fancy a HR monitor with both a watch & bike computer, so I can keep an eye on my HR while running, as well as my cadence & HR while cycling.

Does such a thing exist? What kit has worked for others?

thanks.

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I have a Garmin 405 which, with a little extra adapter does Cadence, as well as HRM and speed/distance etc. It can also be mounted on the bike or worn on the wrist (it is a running device primarily) There are cheaper ones in the range that do the same. They attachments are wireless too.
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Polar do some pretty funky HRMs with all the functions that you're after. They're pretty pricey though. You might be able to get one on ebay.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Garmin forerunner 305, cheaper than the 405 and does (basicly) the same job. Heart rate, speed, distance, pacing, raceing yourself over old routes, its a brilliant tool. After a run or bike you can download your data on to your pc and look at a trace of your HR, pace and elevation.

A very good watch and there are some fantastic deals for these at the mo. I love my 305, there is a new garmin coming out v soon, and here it is......................

Boasting up to 20 hours of battery life and a sleek, comfortable design, the newly announced Forerunner 310XT fills the multi-sport needs of cross-training competitors, endurance elites and weekend walkers alike.

“The waterproof Forerunner 310XT is the evolution of the iconic Forerunner 305, building off of what users love and introducing key benefits they’ve requested,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “By adding unmatched wireless connectivity, up to 20 hours of battery life and a more comfortable build, Forerunner 310XT will bring Garmin’s leading GPS technology to more athletes and events than ever imagined.”

The Forerunner 310XT will be sold on its own or packaged with a new waterproof, soft-strap heart rate monitor, which will be more comfortable than previous models and is expected to be available during summer 2009.

During and after the workout, Forerunner 310XT blends the best wireless connectivity of all of its predecessors in the Garmin fitness family, syncing wirelessly through ANT+™ technology with Garmin heart rate monitors and foot pods, compatible third-party fitness equipment and power meters, and the user’s PC or Mac for automatic data download.

The swimmable Forerunner 310XT is waterproof to a depth of 50 meters, so you can wear it in the pool or the lake to time your swim. And its slim design, simple interface and flexible wristband mean Forerunner is easy to wear in any conditions. When you're ready to jump out of the water and onto the bike, Forerunner 310XT moves easily from wrist to bike with the optional quick release and bike mounts, making the transition between sports effortless. Forerunner 310XT categorizes multisport activities in one workout and can also log transition time in the process, so you can analyze your performance from start to finish. And the extended battery life – up to 20 hours – means that endurance athletes can push themselves farther than ever.

Positioned around the large, vivid display, intuitive buttons provide a simple interface without sacrificing space on the customizable data screens. And even in the loudest gym or largest crowd, users won’t miss their milestones as Forerunner 310XT’s audible signals and/or vibration alerts tell them when they’ve reached integral parts of their race or workout.

Garmin is also announcing a new waterproof, soft-strap heart rate monitor that is streamlined and more comfortable than ever, yet rugged enough to withstand swimming. Though heart rate data does not transmit while underwater, this new waterproof strap means that triathletes can plan ahead by wearing the strap under a wetsuit, shaving crucial seconds off their transition time. The new soft-strap monitor is expected to be available during summer 2009.

For out-of-water activities, Forerunner 310XT tracks speed, distance and location accurately and effortlessly, and users benefit from the precision of heart rate-based calorie computation. Runners and cyclists can adjust the pace and speed of their Virtual Partner without stopping in the middle of a workout, and the Virtual Partner is always on and ready for a challenge.

[image]local://1517/EA5DA161B8EA46F8BB5DB09557B1136C.jpg[/image]
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    You can buy new straps...obviously this is not going to attract any WAT either.
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    Totally agree with MG, and I can't wait to get the new one! wow!