Home Chat General Chat

London Olympic Bike Route

Doing the OD in August - has anybody got info on the bike route condition, e.g. what was your time in comparison to your 'usual' performance, speed, etc. Just want to get a feel for how hard I have to/can push on the actual course. I usually do about 30-32 km/h on my commuter bike and wondered how I will do on the London OD course.

Comments

• EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    its fast but was windy last year. nearly got blown off my bike -you can really get the hammer down in the tunnels.

• BmanBman Posts: 442
    Assuming its the same course, its mainly flat with a couple of bridges to climb over and those really quick tunnels (60km/h+). Slow points are the deadturn and roundabout at the far ends of each lap. The worst bits were where roadworks and construction were going on. Saw the victim of a nasty accident getting treatment there. Theres loads of space for passing and staying aero is no problem for most of it. I reckon my 10km commute to work is around the same speed and I managed a 1:04h on the bike.
  • abrewerabrewer Posts: 41
    Also depends on whether you are on the Westminster or Tower Bridge Route. Generally I think Westminster is faster as you only go into the tunnel once although there are some nasty roadworks by Southwark bridge (only on Westminster route) which seem to have dug up the road.
    Abrewer, how do you get to do the Westminster route? Sub 2:30? I didnt notice anywhere to choose between the two when registering.
  • abrewerabrewer Posts: 41
    Unfortunately the organisers decide for you. Each year they select certain waves so it is just pot luck. Although, normally this route will start early on Sunday so only for those who don't like to lie in...
    Ah well, will have to hope for the organisers to choo..choo..choose me!
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    They chop and change it between Age groupers and the Open class, last year the Open class had Westminster (and the early start), this year Age groupers will have it so set your alarm clocks.........

I had the mind numbingly crap Tower Bridge route, this is the first year I'm not doing London as its sssssssso overpriced its untrue, and NO GOODY BAG???? whats that all about??!!!