Home Chat General Chat

OW...when to take the plunge??

So when do/did beginners feel ready to tale the 'OW' plunge??...seen some taster days which say you must be able to complete 1500m in a certain amount of time to try...still a plodder in the pool for my sprint tri's but want to try it out without being left behind by the folks born with fins..??

Comments

• ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    If you want to do it, you're ready.

I did one pool sprint last year, o.w. this may at Grendon. Got 2 practices in lake with tri club first. Was pretty much last out of the water but you save some of that by being able to find your bike quickly :)

Definitely get a practice session in first though, practice your sighting etc. or before Conehead says so, do one of his Rookie days. Highly recommended OW session. Got my sighting technique a peach now thanks to Mr Kiddle. I've been swimming in the lake with my tri club twice a week since May and love it, don't ever want to get back in the pool.

Ade

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    A bit before you think you are ready!

Or when you realise you are just making excuses (too cold, too tired, too busy!)

Or when you start posting questions about it on the forum [:)]

Of course, goes without saying that you want to be with experienced people etc. etc.
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    aoneill69 wrote:

So when do/did beginners feel ready to tale the 'OW' plunge??...seen some taster days which say you must be able to complete 1500m in a certain amount of time to try...still a plodder in the pool for my sprint tri's but want to try it out without being left behind by the folks born with fins..??

I'm a beginner, not taken part in one tri yet...my first one is next week....OW in the albert dock liverpool.

i had a training session a couple of weeks ago, in the albert dock with the jelly fish...since then training has been boring in the pool and i cant wait for the ruck....I'm only trying to finish and only doing the 'fun' distance (though if i'd have know how much i have enjoyed the training i might have gone for sprint)

i'm not a strong swimmer either, pool..about 1000m total i reckon...so i think its not about the capability to swim far, its about just having a go
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    dunno where you live but I can highly recommend Jan Whiting's O/W training days

http://www.janet-whiting.com/events.html

Excellent value for what you get... small groups, putting on, taking off wetsuits, water adaptation, drafting, sighting, race starts (beach, deep water, shallow water), sea swimming and probably more that I have no forgotten!

And of course there is Conehead's Rookie days which i am sure as equally as excellent!

didds

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    Go for it its great[:D]
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    My first Tri was an OW swim - loved it, my 2nd tri is an OW swim too - only problem is now I don't fancy doing a pool swim tri - but I am booke dinto one in July ...

Do it - get down your local swimming lake and tri it out

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    didds wrote:

And of course there is Conehead's Rookie days which i am sure as equally as excellent!

just looked at that again and thought I'd said "Cookhead's Roonie days" !!!

didds

• gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457

NOW!

no?

okay.

how about....

NOW!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Sign up for an OW tri then you've got no choice. That's what I did as I didn't really fancy pool based triathlons don't know why, just thought OW was more of a challenge. And it was.

Loved it though, still got the fear a bit, worried I'll catch something horrible, but tri number two coming up and can't wait.

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I'm firmly convinced that every open water mass-start race is just like your first one: you never now quite how it is going to go. Am I in the right place? Will they all swim over me? Will I have to swim over some of them? Is that bloke over there a complete nutter who is going to try to rip my goggles off as soon as he is lost in his little adrenaline-blurred world? Will I be able to see where I'm going? bla bla bla

On that basis, anybody who has done loads is still in the same position as a newbie. And newbies are in just the same position as experienced tri-ers.

Ummm... I think the summary is "Just get out there and have a go"... everybody else out there has.
  • i did my first OW last night see post "Fat man floating " in rough horrible sea but something really weird is I really enjoyed it and found it the hardest thing mentally I have done in a long time,

I think you should go for it, wait a minute I have noticed on this forum everyone's answer to everything is "go for it" " Do it" etc

I was going to do a post "Running... When to take the plunge"???
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Im not a runner do my advice would be stay well away from it, unless you need to run to an OW session.