Home Chat Race Chat

Norwich Open water tri

Anyone done this before ? Any tips ?

What's the swim like ?

www.entrycentral.com/index.php?raceID=100263

Comments

• gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    I'm entered. It'll be my first Olympic Tri.

I asked a similar question a while back and go this reply.

al_ford wrote:

Did it last year in 2:33, my second olympic tri. Didi London the year before in 2:45 but was much fitter for Norwich.

Pretty good event...except there were a few lively horses which had escaped onto the road half way round the bike course, had marshalls running everywhere and then the police turned up to sort it out!

Swim - the broad was quite warm, nice and clean - no probs.

Bike - country roads, not much traffic except the horses! A few drags but no real uphill, more exposed to the wind than any inclines. Remeber undulating in Norwich is flat in most places!

Run - path around the lake and across some grassy tracks. Nice course, only one uphill bit for less than a hundred meters.

I enjoyed it and will do it again depending on date. You should go for it.

My guess is the timing should be pretty similar to London, the transition will be quicker and easier than London. No slippery floors, as the transition area is on grass.

My in-laws live within walking distance from the start, so easy enough for me to sort out.

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=25656
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    I have done it twice now, it couples up as Ipswich Tri club championship.

It is a very well run Tri, and the people are very friendly, from parking your car to ensuring you have everything.

So the parking is about 1.5 mile from the Tri area. However Tri-Anglia put on a bus, so if you have guests they can jump on the bus with your box. You can also leave your kit with them, and you are given a nice ticket to retrieve it at the other end.

I did this and rode the 5 mins ride to the Tri area on my bike, which is down hill :)

Swim:

The start the swim in decent size groups and there are plenty of areas to mark for getting around. Waters good and no reeds etc.

Slight run up a slope to transition then onto the bike

Bike:

Bike is obviously long, but the hills are not killers to anybody who trains. The do seems long the hills, but not enough to kill you. So it is a very quick ride with not much in the way of technicallity needed.

Run:

This is predominantly flat, about 1 mile into the run there is a sharp hill that goes up for about 200 metres, once over this its back down the hill and flat all the way in.

All in all a very fast Triathlon.

Hope that might help a little.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Wicked thanks.

This will be my 1st tri of that distance, my 1st open water swim, and my 1st "alone".

Sounds good though.

See you boys there.

I'll be the idiot who can't get in or out of his wetsuit. :)

• gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    I got an email from the organisers last night. They're doing training days in June....

Beginners open water swim session starting on Saturday 23rd May at 6pm at the

Outdoor Centre, Whitlingham Country Park, Trowse. Cost is £5 per session. This

is a six week course, dates are; 23 May, 30 May, 6 June, 13 June, 20 June, 27

June. Competitors can attend one or all of the session to either familiarise

themselves with the lake or gain experience swimming open water; Two of our

coaches will be available to assist those new to open water swimming and answer

questions, whilst experienced swimmers will be on hand in the water to assist and

give guidance. Places are limited please contact Mark Williams 01603 713507

Led cycle rides to familiarise competitors with both courses;

Norwich Olympic course, Saturday 13th June 10.00 a.m. Meeting in the car

park at Whitlingham Country Park (Great Broad car park). Free

Norwich Sprint course, Saturday 20th June 10.00 a.m. Meeting in the car park

at Whitlingham Country Park (Great Broad car park). Free