Home Chat General Chat

Out of action...grrrrr...

CCSCCS Posts: 53
Feeling a bit furstrated, so please excuse me having a vent here...

Training was all going well for my 2nd tri (Timex Womens on 4th July), and raising sponsorship money (I am doing it for Breast Cancer Care) was also going very well.

Last week, had a holiday in Portugal with the family. Got some good early morning runs in (and even managed to cope with the steep hill on the way up to the villa). Also managed to give my westuit a proper test swimming in the bay, so feeling pretty good about things, Then, on the last evening, disaster! The gas hob exploded while I was cooking tea for the kids. I think I probably got away pretty lightly, as my clothes seem to have protected me, but have suffered burns to arms, lower legs & face (now sporting a fetching no eyebrows / eyelashes look).

Was meant to do the Woking aquathlon on Sunday, but obviously had to give that a miss. Am now feeling very frustrated. The burns on my ankles make trainers / bike shoes unconfortable (though I am hoping that this won't last too much longer), and I have a dressing on one leg, so swimming is out.

I am resigned to having no exercise for a week or so (perhaps a bit of pilates later in the week), but was wondering if anyone has any advice as to how I can best make up for lost fitness when I get back into things?

Comments

• gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Ouch CCS, sound like you were quite lucky. Hope you get better quickly.

You shouldn't loose too much of your fitness if it is only a short period of time, think going on a holiday for 2 weeks without training, after about a week once you are back on it, you should be back to where you were prior to your incident.

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Every cloud has a silver lining

I am glad your ok but just think of the shiny new bike and all that kit you can buy with the legal claim.

Unless it's your villa that is ?

Take em for all they are worth.

• CCSCCS Posts: 53
    ...sadly our villa (well, jointly with brother in law), so no prospect of legal claim.

However, it has prompted other half to do the ironing to get the kids ready for school on Monday (which is pretty unheard of).

Think I may also use this as emotional blackmail to fit in a few more races later in the season - have already put myself down for Thames Turbo race 4.

Any other recommendations for races (prob. sprint) in South East late July / early Aug?)
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Bad luck about the burns, but glad you're OK and getting on with it.

I really like the South Coast triathlon, which I did last year at Seaford. It's on August 15th this year. Nice sea swim and then a fast bike and run route along the sea front. Great atmosphere and excellent organisation. There's a sprint and a 'fun' distance - I'm planning to do the Olympic this time round.

blurredgirl
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    As gavin said, you won't lose your fitness over that period of time. probably the worst that will happen is that you will drop in overall speed. This won't take long to get back to where it was though.

A good thing from it is that you will be resting, and by the time you start training again then your motivation and hunger will be huge.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    That sounds hasty CCS! What degree are the burns?

I imagine swimming would just plain hurt with the ch;lorine and pee in the pool.

I should take this time eat haelthy and do mental preperation. You will come back a stronger lady!

Dont get back into it to soon as you will need to heal properly!

Good luck and hope all heals quick and well!