Home Chat General Chat

Anyone else doing Weymouth 70.3?

Hello,

I'm new here but you all seem like a friendly bunch so I thought I'd join in. I'm doing Crystal Palace Sprint next Sunday (31st) then the Weymouth 70.3 on 7th June, I did it last year and wasn't quite last!

I cycled part of the course last weekend, all I can say is I hope the wind dies down before then.

Is anyone else doing it? It would be nice to say hello.

Annie

Comments

• MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    I am doing Weymouth this year. It will be my first 1/2 Ironman and I am using it as part of the build up to my first Ironman in Bolton.

I am looking forward to the swim and dreading the rest.

Mike

• Hi Mike,

The swim was fine as was the bike, rolling as opposed to too hilly, the run (well my run) was dreadful!! Mostly 'cos it was too hot, 25C. I'm hoping it's a little cooler this year.

Good luck!

Annie
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Ditto to Mike, Im doing it too, will be my first 70.3 and a warm up to IMUK. As weymouth is where the national sailing centre is, I can see it being windy on the day!
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Also think Scott is doing it, and there are a few others if I remember
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    I'm doing the Weymouth sprint on the same day so look out for me in my forum buddies tee shirt and say hi!
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    I'm in and doing the race! Also, a build up for IMUK. I'm really looking forward to it actually, although I've never raced in the sea and only trained in it.

Wondering if there will be a baywatch style run and dolphin dive through the waves at the start or if it'll be far more civilised than that!

Bike course looks hilly at the start than some good old fashion rolling terrain!

Haven't viewed the run route but I imagine there'll be a few short climbs around the town in the two loops!!!

Excited!!!!!![:D]
    Waves? In Weymouth? There is a reason it is a centre for sailing and not surfing. Don't expect there to be any waves.

Also, I swim at Weymouth quite often and have never managed anything faster than gingerly picking my way over the shells and pebbles, chanting "ow my feet, ow my feet" the whole time.

Still looking forward to it though.

Mike

Hee hee. So not quite the fashionable beach run I had in my head then!?!

Sounds like it should be fun tho!
  • timtim Posts: 43
    Seems there is a general trend of which i am part, weymouth is my first 1/2 and in build up to Bolton, not had a chance to even look at the course details, so to clarify is there a tide/current to fight/aid in the sea? from what others have said its an undulating bike, and probably windy? and the run has its ups and downs but again nothing serious?

are entrants expecting some details through the post? or are all things like race numbers etc dealt with at registration?

I am looking forward to it, well the swim and bike, run may be a walk at the moment!

Tim
  • In answer to your questions Tim, the tide/current didn't seem to affect me last year, I don't think it's very noticeable on that part of the beach. The race programme arrived about a week before the event, numbers are picked up at registration the day before.

Hopefully I'll be running a bit more and walking a bit less than I did last year!

Good luck

Annie
    So ridiculously excited about this event. My first Half IM and it's a week Sunday!!! I bloody well can't wait. [:D]

Have no idea what the run/walk will be like but the one's in training appear to have been smooth enough!
    Tim it is fairly sheltered in the bay and there is not generally much of a current. So the swim should not be an issue.

Can't really say about anything else as I have only ever swam in Weymouth.

Mike

Typical, after saying it is nice and calm at Weymouth I went down there for a swim last night and it was horrible and choppy. I seemed to spend half the time breathing as a wave went over the top of me and the other half doing superman impressions out the back of waves as I suddenly found myself trying to glide through thin air. So I need to revise my previous comments.

It is normally quite sheltered there and currents/waves are not normally a problem.

But sometimes they are.

Hopefully it will be nice a calm next weekend.

Mike

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Hello all.... I'm back from my holidays full of lard and laziness and I'm starting to properly poo my pants at the prospect of Weymouth 70.3

Like many others, it's my first one. I only decided to enter it on a whim about 6 weeks ago, so my training has NOT been geared around the middle distance but rather for Olympic. Conehead has been encouraging me to just go bonkers and see what happens... I think he is planning on using me as some kind of sports science experiment.

I have no food strategy yet, haven't done a long ride for 3 weeks, managed about 2 x 1hr runs while on holiday and haven't had a 'proper' swim for a couple of weeks either.

I think I have been totally irresponsible and bitten off far more than I can chew. A sensible person would have never even entered it.

Just try and stop me.[:D]
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Wondered where you'd got to, Bopo.

Give it a couple of weeks back in training, you'll soon be firing again [;)]
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Give it a couple of weeks back in training, you'll soon be firing again

I agree, but Weymouth is next Sunday[:(]

Perhaps your comment wasn't quite as motivational as you intended, Jesster.... but I do appreciate the intention. Thanks![:D]
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Bopo - I thought we had agreed that it was foolhardy and irreponsible -again I must remind you:

'You utter bloody idiot! You are an irresponsible imbecile who clearly had no idea of the enormity of the task involved but took it on anyway. Now you are getting closer to the start line and you are rightly cacking yourself now you understand the stupidity of what you have done!

Bloody well done, sir! [:D] '

I look forward to your triumphant post race report
    Tee hee. I am getting that now familiar feeling of pure excitement and absolutely nerves that do such wonderous things to the stomach.

First Tri of the season following a run and cycle sportif. Exciting times ahead!
    So how did everyone do?

I had a really slow swim but picked things up on the bike and run to finish in 5:14. Nutrition plan worked well so hopefully things are on course for Bolton.

Mike